Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DP 8.1 - Media Problem

I have a set of blank tapes that I need to prevent DP from writing to. Currently, when I have a backup job and it needs new media, DP consumes blank media for whatever job it is doing. I have about 5 blank tapes currently loaded and I need to protect them from being consumed (but not protect them from being written to). My first thought was to just create a temporary media pool and move the tapes to that media pool however, I don't seem to be able to move scratch/blank media to this pool. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? The goal is to prevent Data Protector from writing to these tapes but allow them to be written to eventually when I need them. 

0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This idea is exactly correct

" My first thought was to just create a temporary media pool and move the tapes to that media pool"

If media is in a media pool not being used for any backup, the media will never be touched.  You can also protect the sessions on the media to Permanent, this will prevent the media from being used

I suspect that teh media pool these tapes are in are using Free Pool.  Right-click on the media pool go to Properties, then to the Allocation tab.  If 'Use Free Pool' is checked, un-check it, click Apply.  You shoud then be able to move the media to whatever pool you want,  Once you are done, re-enable 'Use Free Pool'

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It seems that all of my media pools I have configured, have "Use Free Pool" unchecked. The only place in DP where I see "unknown" or "blank" media is under Devices>HP:MSL G3 Series>Slots. The question is, how do I get them from the slots to the media pool. When I right click on the "unknown" or "blank" media, I do not have an option to move to a pool.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If media is being shown as Blank or unknown, even after doing a device scan, then they are not in a Data Protector format, and must be formatted into whatever media pool that you want

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think that, if you scan this media using Device Scan, it will either show a valid set of media information, or show as Data Protector Foreigh.  It could be that the IDB just needs to be upodated about this media, and a Scan (not a Barcode scan) should do this

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.