JJJ Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

DP 9.08_113 - Vepa Restore Issues - [172:184]

Jump to solution

Hi Collegaues

I wanted to share an issue with you we are seeing with a DP 9.08_113 install when trying to restore a Virtual machine from a VEPA backup.

The VM does indeed have a snapshot on it and when we try to restore to a new VM we are seeing the following:

##

[172:184] Virtual Machine 'VM_Hostname': Configuration not supported.

The Virtual Machine contains user's snapshots. It is not supported to restore a single disk then. 

Remove the user's snapshots, then start restore again. 

##

Obviously removing the Snapshot is not an option as this is the machine we are trying to restore.

Has anyone seen this or can offer me any comments or support.

Kindest Regards.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: DP 9.08_113 - Vepa Restore Issues - [172:184]

Jump to solution

Hi JJJ

I got it, this is known issue that affect DP 9.08 and 9.09. 

https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/QCCR2A72188

It was resolved with DP 9.09_116, therefore install 9.09 + last set of patches and will work fine.

Best Regards

0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi JJJ

This isi clearly documented into Virtualization guide.

NOTE:
If a virtual machine has a user-created snapshot during CBT enabled backup, the user-created snapshot is backed up along with the other VM disk blocks. If the Data Protector detects a user-created snapshot at the time of restore in a virtual machine, the VM is not restored. To restore such a VM, you need to manually delete all the existing user-created snapshots.

Best Regards

0 Likes
JJJ Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi JBasillo

Thanks for your comments, 

Apologies for my ignorance, but by 'Manually delete all existing user snapshots' is this from the source VM within the Virtual Environment, or the actual backed up VM?

Obviously removing snapshots from the backed up VM would not be possible being that it is stored on backup media.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi JJJ

It means that VM that you are trying to restore\overwrite has an user snapshot, obiously you can not remove snapshot from media.

If you are trying to restore using "new Virtual Machine" option and this error is received please open a support case becuase this is a bug.

I have tested the same with DP 10.03 and works fine.

Best Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi JJJ

I got it, this is known issue that affect DP 9.08 and 9.09. 

https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/QCCR2A72188

It was resolved with DP 9.09_116, therefore install 9.09 + last set of patches and will work fine.

Best Regards

0 Likes
JJJ Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi JBasilio

It was indeed being restored as a new Virtual Machine, so looks like we've stumbled across the bug you mention.

Thanks again for yorur support 🙂

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello

You are welcome, please set post as resolved.

Best Regards

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.