Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

DP 9,09 error on LSN SQL

Jump to solution

hi Folks,

I have a backup of a virtual machine in hyper 2012, this virtual machine has a SQL running, when DP makes the backup of the virtual machine changes the LSN (log sequence number) in SQL.
The client backups SQL locally, so they have a sequence of Full and Differentials.

Someone knows how to prevent the LSN change, once the virtual machine is backed up, without affects the sequence of full local and differential SQL backups.

Please assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jenni_S Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: DP 9,09 error on LSN SQL

Jump to solution

Ok so this is what you need to check with your end user - how are they doing their own sql backups. If they are not using vss to do this then you can disable the sql writer. If they are running a native sql backup (e.g. via SQL management studio) then they do not use the SQL Writer, native sql backup uses SQL Server Virtual Device Interface (VDI) commands (as does data protector via the sql_bar.exe process)

The reason that DP is resetting the log file during the VE Hyper-V backup is because as part of this backup an "inner volume shadow copy" is created. This is created by quiescing all vss-aware applications within the guest - of which SQL is one. You won't ever see messages about this in the VE HyperV backup session messages, they will only be in the guest application event log.

If you disable the SQL writer (which is what VSS uses to quiesce SQL) then the SQL application will remain untouched during the VE HyperV backup.

What I am not entirely sure about is whether the HyperV backup will complain if the sql writer is disabled, but I think not, as I suggested this to a different customer about a year ago to fix a similar issue and he didn't come back to me and say that my workaround broke his hyperV backup.

Speak to your end user and see if he is happy to stop and disable the SQL Writer service. If he is then your issue should be resolved.

regards,
jenni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, please click on KUDOS!
23 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @Eblyn Solis

Hope you are doing good. 

At this moment, do you have 9.09_114, without any additional patch?

I will suggest to upgrade to build 116, this includes VEPA patches. Test it and let us know. 

If the error persists, collect all the information about the case and proves of the error. Could be another thing. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

hi Vector, 

yaes we hace build 116,, I will open a case.

Regards.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Let us know any resolution. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello

I guess that your customer is using VSS quiecence option from VM backup configuration.

Snapshot handling

(not available if Use default settings or Use common settings for the selected VM are selected)

Quiescence is supported only for Windows guest Operating System with VMware tools installed.

Quiescence

If quiescence is selected, the snapshot process quiesces all the system writers, and the registered application writers. In Windows guest operating systems, the VSS framework freezes or quiesces the applications running in a virtual machine before a snapshot is created. Data Protector performs application-consistent quiescence every time the Use Quiescence option is selected for the backup.

Select the Use quiescence snapshots check box. You can select the level of error to be reported. The following levels of errors can be selected:

• Fatal: If the quiescence snapshot fails, the session will fail .
  • Warning: If the quiescence snapshot fails, a warning message is displayed and the backup process is continued.

When you enable the Quiescence option, backup of virtual machines are application consistent for MS SQL, MS Sharepoint, MS Exchange and Oracle. The consistency works best when the applications are configured as recommended by their vendors. Data Protector recommends installing a respective integration agent within a virtual machine to protect these applications.

Best Regards

Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

hola Jbasilio

I"m going to request that they review the Quiescence in the hyper-V .
I have a question with your answer:
"Data Protector recommends installing a respective integration agent within a virtual machine to protect these applications."
Do I have to install the SQL agents and the VSS in the virtual machine? This will be a bit difficult since that machine is not the production network of the nodes, this system is a cloud where the virtual machines are not in the network of the nodes.

Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hola Eblyn

My appologize info provided is for VEPA integration not for HyperV integration.. For HyperV is not possible select VSS options, are oyu sure about they are using HyperV integration? Could be possible that they are using MS Volume Shadow Copy Writers integration?

Are you sure about LSN is changed after HyperV backup? Maybe this is changed for a different tool or process because HyperV backup processes shouldn't change LSN.

Best Regards

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

gracias Jbasilio,

I'm not sure about your questions:
Are you sure about they are using HyperV integration? Could you possibly use MS Volume Shadow Copy Writers integration?

I honestly do not know, I think VSS writers are used, where can I confirm that information?

I'll tell you this,
We give a cloud service to a client and we make a monthly backup of your virtual machine, the client is responsible for making their SQL backups independent of us,
They make a full backup of SQL at midnight and the rest of the day differential, just the day we have scheduled the backup DP lost the sequence of backups, it seems DP modifies the LSN with junk information in the logs of backups of SQL, and just that information is created during the backup of DP, so it confirms that the problem is created by DP when making the backup.

Regards.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi

Could you please share backup session report? If you are running MS volume shadow copy it will explain shuch behaviour.

Best Regards

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Gents,

The VE Integ for HyperV will *always* quiesce the guest if it's windows and *always* uses VSS to run the backup.

Process is: 

Quiescence backup flow

1. The Microsoft Hyper-V writer triggers the integration services within the virtual machine.
  2. The integration services trigger the VSS framework within the virtual machine to create a volume shadow copy (an inner volume shadow copy is created).
  3. The VSS framework within the Microsoft Hyper-V system creates a volume shadow copy of the disk on which the virtual machine files are located (an outer volume shadow copy is created). In a ZDB use case, a replica storage volume is created.
  4. The Microsoft Hyper-V writer performs auto-recovery to make the inner and outer volume shadow copies consistent before proceeding with the backup, as there is a time gap between the inner and outer volume shadow copy creation and some data stored on the virtual machine may change in the meantime.

If the guest is running SQL then this will cause a reset to the log / update LSN number at time of the inner vol.ume shadow copy

AFAIK there is no option within the VE Integ for HyperV to only quiesce the guest OS itself and not the VSS aware guest applications.

That is what is needed to prevent this behaviour.

regards,
jenni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Sorry I forgot to mention that if you disable the SQL Writer service then the VSS backup will not impact the SQL database as without the writer service it can't quiesce SQL.

So it depends whether the EU needs the SQL Writer service for anything else? (AFAIK native sql backup doesn't use this writer) If not turn this off and test the VE backup again, does that fix your issue?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/sql-writer-service?view=sql-server-2017

regards,
jenni

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

hi Jenny,

Thanks for your answer.

I have a doubt with what you indicate, about the test.
Is there a writer for the SQL backup? And another one for backup that is done with DP?
Because if I stop the writers, the DP backup will not work, or does SQL have different writers than DP?

Regards.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi Jbasilio,

sorry but I can't send the session, the system doesn't accep the file.

Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Eblyn

No problem, do you see that during backup?

Starting OB2BAR Backup: sov02dp40.jmbdp.local:/SqlServerWriter(Microsoft SQL Server 2014:SQLWriter)/SOV02DP40/DP817/model "MSVSSW"

Then you are using Volume Shadow Copy Integration for backup

If you see soemthing like that:

Starting OB2BAR Backup: sov02dp35.jmbdp.local:/Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer/Virtual Machines/B54E01BD-FD34-478D-AB0A-0B3644EC6649 "MSVSSW-APP"

Then you are using HyperV integration. About your last question DP exactly don't use different writer, use teh available writer provided by Microsoft but as you can see in examples above we have a different one for SQL and HyperV.

If you use DP for SQL online integration agent VSS is not used, it is just used for "MSVSSW" backups. Therefore if you are using MSVSSW for backup HyperV server that is possible but wrong you must use VEPA online integration, this one never will change LSN or logs for different application except if you use quiescence option.

Best Regards

Best Regards

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hola Eblyn,

Not totally sure what you mean.

You said that your SQL backups are being done using native SQL (e.g. sql mgmt studio) - that doesn't use the SQL writer. Neither does the DP SQL integration backup - that uses the sql_bar.exe - and both use the SQL VDI

Only VSS aware backups use the SQL writer. And you are running HyperV right? So actually you are backing up the guest via the VE Integ. So if you disable the SQL writer on the guest then you will not back up SQL via the VE backup.

But maybe I misunderstood something in your config? Please clarify and I'll do my best to refine my answer 🙂

regards,
jenni

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.