Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Absent Member.. KloppYNWA69 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

DP 9 - VMware integration - recommended number of backup hosts

I am looking at moving my client from Veeam to DP/VMware integration. DP v9.04 plus we'll upgrade to v9.06/07

Veeam has a recommended number of backup streams per backup proxy however DP doesnt seem to have that.

For HOTADD and SAN mode, how many backup streams should we recommend per backup host? This client environment will potentially be big so we need to size the proxies to cope with it. Whether this is virtual and/or physical backup hosts.

thanks

0 Likes
6 Replies
kevin123 Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: DP 9 - VMware integration - recommended number of backup hosts

Hello  KloppYNWA69, 

In DP, we usually need to present the LUNs to the desire backup host, this is in order to run the backups over the SAN. Then, in the backup specification, you will be able to configure the concurrency (streams) per drive used in the current backup, this configuration depends on how many drives and how many objects you are backing up.

Thanks. 

0 Likes
Absent Member.. svollrat Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Limitation is primarly with I/O-Throughput, followed by number of Connections to vCenter and then CellManager Performance. If your SAN is 16Gbit dual attached you can get 1.5GB/s through if the target can take it.

We save aprox. 150 VMs with bit over 20TB per Full using two DL380 G7 and they are CPU and Memory wise pretty much bored out most of the time. Depending on your Buffer-Size you should have some RAM though.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

yes I understand the how the configuration should be setup with either virtual or physical backup proxies.

we have 10Gbe and 8Gbit SAN so will run a mix of hotadd and direct SAN mode backups.

The number of VMs for the main live environment is approximately 2000 so we need to size the backup infrastructure correctly.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. svollrat Absent Member..
Absent Member..

What is your Backup-Target? If it is classical TapeLibrary or VTL attached to FC I recommend using SAN only to keep Network free for Client-Access.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

backup target is storeonce 4700 over 10Gbe with catalyst. Performance across virtual hosts and physical has been good as we run 10Gbe everywhere....

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello KloppYNWA69,

Just a short one - I hope to encourage you to click on ACCEPT AS SOLUTION if you find the replies you have is good/useful to share this one.

Thanks

If I may provide some comments on your query as I can see it is on Performance for DP / VMware Integration, you may want to check these two paramerters.

Backup disk buffer

You can specify a disk buffer for your backup using the omnirc option OB2_VEAGENT_BACKUP_DISK_BUFFER_SIZE.

The SAN and the HotAdd backups support disk buffer sizes from 1 MB to 256 MB. By default, their disk buffer size is 8 MB. However, network backups, such as NBD and NBD (SSL), are always performed using the default disk buffer size of 1 MB.

Note:
If there is not enough memory available for the specified disk buffer size, a fallback to 1 MB disk buffer size will happen to keep the backup running, and a warning message will be displayed.

Using bigger disk buffer sizes improves the backup performance, but it also increases the memory consumption. At the certain level the backup performance does not improve anymore due to the limits of your backup host.

Backup parallelism
By default, virtual machines are backed up in parallel. In rare cases this may lead to problems. For example, backup sessions may end unexpectedly. In such cases, you may set the Data Protector OB2_VEAGENT_THREADED_BACKUP omnirc option on the backup host to 0 to disable parallel backups.

Note:
Virtual machine disks are backed up sequentially in both cases.

Note:
By default, a maximum of 10 concurrent threads are executed when backing up virtual machines using the VEAgent integration. Here each thread refers to a Data Protector service used to process and stream the backup set from the virtual machine host to the backup target. While the default setting provides enhanced backup performance for protected virtual machines, it will place a moderate load on the virtual infrastructure due to 10 I/O connections that are not managed by the virtualization layer and are therefore not subject to load balancing services on the virtualization host. You can, however, modify this setting using the OB2_VEAGENT_VCENTER_CONNECTION_LIMIT variable to meet requirements of your system settings.

You may want to refer to the DP integration guide.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Sherman (HPE DP Support)

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.