Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
joshrabinowitz Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

DP 9x backup job with an autofs bind mount

Our environment employs autofs and NFS across dozens of Linux machines. One major problem I've noticed is how DP sees mounted filesystems in the backup context.

For example, say there is a plain old ext4 FS locally mounted as /lcl/section/home in fstab. This is LVM2 and looks something like:

/dev/VG/section.home      /lcl/section/home    ext4    acl,user_xattr  1 2

Great, I go into DP and add that FS to be backed up. Well, we also use autofs so that no matter which host on the network, you can get at /section/home, INCLUDING the localhost, aka a bind mount.

The problem is, as soon as this is accessed with cd, ls, whatever, DP no longer recognizes the local /lcl/section/home mount, it cannot be seen in the backup context, only the /section/home mount is seen. This is a huge problem! Why does DP prefer the ephemeral autofs mount? Is there any way to force DP to present in the backup context, kinda like when you do 'df -a'?

Edit:

Here is the autofs config from localhost:

/etc/auto.section:home -rw,intr,hard,bg,actimeo=1,testing,vers=3 localhost:/lcl/section/home

And remote host:

/etc/auto.section:home -rw,intr,hard,bg,vers=3 remotehost.foo.bar:/lcl/section/home

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: DP 9x backup job with an autofs bind mount

Hello @joshrabinowitz,

@joshrabinowitz wrote:

The problem is, as soon as this is accessed with cd, ls, whatever, DP no longer recognizes the local /lcl/section/home mount, it cannot be seen in the backup context, only the /section/home mount is seen. This is a huge problem! Why does DP prefer the ephemeral autofs mount? Is there any way to force DP to present in the backup context, kinda like when you do 'df -a'?

Thanks for the detailed summary. What I don't understand is if you want to backup the content of the NFS automount on one, all or none of the systems. By default Data Protector should not backup cross mount points. It must be added using manual add in the MFC GUI.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
joshrabinowitz Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Re: DP 9x backup job with an autofs bind mount

I want to only backup data on local filesystems. The problem is, if a local filesystem is ALSO mounted locally via NFS/autofs, then the local mount does not appear in DP. That is the crux of the problem, DP hides local mounts, or rather will only dsiplay the second mount from the below mtab:

08:04:44 josh@host:~>grep c\/home /etc/mtab
/dev/mapper/host-section.home /lcl/section/home ext4 rw,acl,usrquota,grpquota 0 0
/lcl/section/home /section/home none rw,bind 0 0

How can I force DP to display the first instance of /lcl/section/home and not see the bind mount?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.