Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Danilo B Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[DP A.06.00] Media Agent Client needed?

Jump to solution
Hi,

we have an HP MSL2024 library with 2 LTO-3 drives connected (SCSI) to an NSR1200-320. Tape drives are configured as multipath devices.
Actually I can't get the sense of this configuration.
Do I really need to install Media Agent on servers I want to backup? Isn't enought to use only the Media Agent installed on the DP server? Why use multipath configuration? I am missing something?

I already had a look to DP documentation but still isn't clear to me.

Thank you all for help!!
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor.. Johnc_3 Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: [DP A.06.00] Media Agent Client needed?

Jump to solution
Hi Danilo,

You only need to install a media agent on the servers if you want them to control the tape library and pass their data directly to it over the SAN fabric (this assumes that those servers are connected to the SAN). If you only install the disk agent the data will be sent from those servers to your cell manager and then over the SAN to the tape library.

If possible, the preference is for the servers you want to backup to be SAN attached, have a media agent installed and direct their backup data over the SAN direct to the library. This lightens the load on your cell manager and avoids the (maybe) bottleneck of transferring data over the LAN.

Hope this helps to explain things.

John
------------------
Kudos gratefully accepted - How to assign...
3 Replies
Highlighted
RoMa64 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Danilo,

yes you need to install a media agent on the server you want to backup.

Best regards,
Robert
If you're out there you're vulnerable. People prefer to disappear in life , to repress their personality. That's not living,it's dying. I see them all over the place, the walking dead.
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.. Johnc_3 Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
Hi Danilo,

You only need to install a media agent on the servers if you want them to control the tape library and pass their data directly to it over the SAN fabric (this assumes that those servers are connected to the SAN). If you only install the disk agent the data will be sent from those servers to your cell manager and then over the SAN to the tape library.

If possible, the preference is for the servers you want to backup to be SAN attached, have a media agent installed and direct their backup data over the SAN direct to the library. This lightens the load on your cell manager and avoids the (maybe) bottleneck of transferring data over the LAN.

Hope this helps to explain things.

John
------------------
Kudos gratefully accepted - How to assign...
Danilo B Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thank you Johnc. Now it's clear.

Regards, Danilo
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.