Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DP file systems with vmware

Jump to solution
hi all,
i use the vcb software from vmware. and i have mounted the vms using vcb command:
vcbmounter -t file.....
and vcbmounter -r /mnt/test ....

and i have create a file systems backup job using pre-exe and post-exe script to mount and umount the virtual machines.

but i can found the mounted file in the directory /mnt/test like this
mnt/test/driver/c
mnt/test/driver/d

when i run the job the pre-exe command is running normally and i can see the file in mnt but no data is store on the destination locations, and i didn't receive any error.

any help
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
New Member.
Did you download the HP scripts package? The .ZIP file includes a .PDF document with some descriptions. I'll attach it - check the screenshot on page 5.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Highlighted
New Member.
What do you mean by "destination locations"?
A tape or file media?
Could be an error in your backup specification that prevent the disk agent to pick up data from the mount point(s).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
What do you mean by "destination locations"?
A tape or file media?
-answer: problem with tape and file. i have testing to backup on tape and on a file and i have the same issue.

"Could be an error in your backup specification that prevent the disk agent to pick up data from the mount point(s)"
what do y mean by that??? how can we resolve
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
no idea about this problem!!!!
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.
It sounds like you are using the old scripting method and not the new (paid-for) VMware integration (nothing wrong with that).

Maybe I am misunderstanding your question, but if you want Data Protector to pick up any files, you need to tell where to start from:
e.g. C:\mnt\vm-name\letters\C

Can you share with us the complete commands ("vcbmounter -t file....." does not really help us) and the output of the vcbmounter session?
Please put them in a .TXT file and attach it to a response.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
hello,
thank y for yr help and the support.
i am using the vcb mounted command:
vcbmounter -h 192.168.244.250 -u root -p password -a ipaddr: 192.168.244.249 -t file -r C:\mnt\test -m sam

and i receive the file mounted on mnt directory like this:
C:\mnt\vm-name\letters\C
C:\mnt\vm-name\letters\D

but when i create a file system backup job i only specify the mnt directory.

can y check the attachment file
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.
by default DP does not follow mount points
it will only backup the mount point as an empty dir

Probably you even got a messagesaying that during the session
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.
> STARTING Disk Agent for testcis.testdomain:/ "/".

Are you sure that this term is understood on Windows?

Try "C:\mnt\test\letters\c" instead.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
how can we backup the content of a mounted dir.
is there any solutions to backup these files.

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.
Did you download the HP scripts package? The .ZIP file includes a .PDF document with some descriptions. I'll attach it - check the screenshot on page 5.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
hello Uwe,
thank y very much for yr effort, i have check the attachment file but i used DP 6.11.
but how can we specify the mount file when i create a backup job. can y provide me the steps in DP 6.11
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.
It should be the same. The old script method is no longer mentioned by HP because they now have their paid-for VMware integration module. Both have their uses.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.