Highlighted
TechM-VMS Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DP on OpenVMS - How to specify backup record passing on the omni backup

Hi,

Our storage team looks after DP and unfortunately knows nothing about OpenVMS

I am trying to determine how to get DP to perform a backup recording pass (i.e. write back the backup date and time to the backed up files) as you can do when using OpenVMS backup command

We need this to determine what files are actually backed up independently of DP

Information on how to do this greatly appreciated

Ian (TechM)

p.s.
When I perform the command 'omni -version' on the OpenVMS host it states:

'HP OpenView Storage Data Protector A.06.00: OMNIMVER, internal build OpenVMS A.06.00 (333), built on Fri Sep 28 15:55:55 2007'

0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: DP on OpenVMS - How to specify backup record passing on the omni backup

I guss you want to have a complete media listing. You could try the following commands on the Data Protector cell server. This is what my OpenVMS customers wanted to see. 🙂

omnimm -list_media SEB123L5 –detail

omnimm -catalog SEB123L5

Please ask your storage team to upgrade Data Protector, since version 6.00 is out support for quite some time. The new versions including 7.00 still support OpenVMS AXP and I64.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
TechM-VMS Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Sadly the way they run DP here there is no file listing done 😞

The lowest granularity we can go down to is the directory level *sigh*

As you can imagine, coming from a shop that did stuff with the vms native backup we find this DP rather painful actually - especially considering one cannot simply restore a vms system disk - but I digress

Anyhow - since we cannot obtain a listing then we want DP to at least write back the backup date to the files it has backed up so that we know for sure they have been squirreled away safely

The reason we need to know is because we do backup's to disks (think RDB) and then these backups are backed up using DP. Before we go through and erase files on future backups (to clear enough space) we would like to know that the file(s) have actually been backed up first before deleting them off the disks. There is only enough space for the next days backup - hence it's a fairly big assumption to presume DP has done it's job each night

Does DP have a way to perform a recording pass to the files it has backed up?

If not then we are flying somewhat blind here in terms of knowing that our files have actually been backed up

I'll investigate the upgrading of DP (I take it you are referring to the OpenVMS version?). They will not upgrade DP on the cell (is that what you call it) as there are a lot of backups/systems the cell handles backups for (think many many 100's) and they will not want to introduce issues

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Understood. I think you have two options here. You could work with the backup date of the file. But actually this will not tell you if the backup is really complete, rather that the file was backed up. I'd prefer a post-exec script for the backup client. You could check return codes of the backup session and if you're fine with the results, fire up the cleanup procedure that will remove files from disk.

I was never a fried of a verification pass, since you could never say if the backup is readable after the verification either. If you're paranoid enough, the verification could damage the tape, too.

If you're looking for a tape verification option, you need at least Data Protector 6.11. This version includes a mechanism for that and is a supported Data Protector release as well. If you want to look into it, an upgrade of the complete cell is necessary. Not upgrading will introduce issues if new operating system versions and applications are thrown into the environment anyway. The really need to discuss this, especially with active service contracts. An upgrade of the OpenVMS client only is not an option.

One last thought regarding the commands I specified. They could change the session log level just for the VMS disk and/or the whole client in question to allow proper backup listing. If the # of files in the directory is not huge, this will not stress the IDB to much.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.