Douglas Higgins Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DP v5.5 upgrade - Excessively Slow Backup Performance

Hello.

We performed the Data Protector upgrade from v5.1 to v5.5 last week. Since then nearly all of our jobs are now running excessively slow. As an example, a job that used to take 15-minutes is now taking nearly 5-hours! The jobs are successful, just taking a long time.

When we performed the upgrade, we first upgraded and fully patched the Cell Manger, then we upgraded the clients. Everything apeared to go smooth and without issue.

I've been working for several days with HP engineers on the phone, but so far there is no resolution and we're losing some of our backups as a result of this (due to timeouts).

Does anyone have any ideas what we can do?

Thank you.

Doug
0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Germann Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Re: DP v5.5 upgrade - Excessively Slow Backup Performance

did you installed new or updated it?

we have installed new and there was no Problem...
0 Likes
Absent Member.

We performed an upgrade, not a fresh install because we didn't want to lose the configurations, etc.

Thanks.

Doug
0 Likes
Antonio Carlon Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Douglas,

I've upgrade smoothly a lot of customers' installations from DP 5.0 and 5.1 to 5.5.

Did you tryed do create a new job to save in a new device?

Are there any antivirus programs that run during backup?

Bye
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Douglas.
Is this across different platforms or do you have just one or 2 platforms in your setup? Some more information could help. Eg, the timeouts that you mentioned - are they at the DA side or the MA side?
Thanks and regards,
Shishir
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hello Antonio and Shishir.

Yes I did try recreating a job and running it, but there was no change. No antivirus programs run during our backups.

The servers are all running either Windows 2000 or 2003 server. The timeouts are due to previous jobs take too long - how do I know if it's on the DA or MA side?.
I just noticed a setting to adjust this. Here is the the timeout error:

[Warning] From: BSM@amralbsms2.albmolecular.com "AMRALB002_Exch" Time: 10/19/2005 7:00:06 PM
[61:2013] Some of the backup devices are occupied. Session is waiting
for all the devices to get free.

[Critical] From: BSM@amralbsms2.albmolecular.com "AMRALB002_Exch" Time: 10/19/2005 8:00:33 PM
[61:2015] Timeout waiting for the devices to get free.
The session will terminate.

[Critical] From: BSM@amralbsms2.albmolecular.com "AMRALB002_Exch" Time: 10/19/2005 8:01:10 PM
None of the Disk Agents completed successfully.
Session has failed

At this point I'm wondering if I should uninstall Data Protector from the Cell Manager and perform a fresh load.

Thank you.

Doug
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Douglas,

I'm agree with you to reinstall the product, anyway I'll try to rollback both the DA and MA patches.

Bye
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Douglas,

I'm agree with you to reinstall the product, anyway I'll try first to rollback both the DA and MA patches.

Bye
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Hi Antonio.

I just finished with a meeting with my boss to move forward with a reinstallation of the cell manager. I'm going to go over the process with HP before I begin to insure I don't miss something and create more problems. At this point I don't see any other option.

I appreciate all the input.

Thank you.

Doug
0 Likes
Absent Member.

After working with several HP engineers for a few days, we suspect the issue was related to the registry of the Windows 2000 server the library was attached to. We moved the library onto a Windows 2003 server (which is our cell manager) and the performance returned instantly.

Thanks all for your input.

Doug
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.