Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
victor-c Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

DP with vCenter appliance

Jump to solution

Hi,

somebody has integrated DataProtector with VMware virtual infrastructure when vCenter is appliance?

Could you send link or indication  how to do it.

Thank you in advance.

P.S.: I have experience with vCenter on windows server, but not with appliance

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asmer mlaco Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DP with vCenter appliance

Jump to solution

Hi. Same procedure works on DP 8.x.

In order to run virtual environment backup, you need to select one client to be a backup host. On that backup host, add virtual environment backup component (also called VEPA). Please refer to support matrices for VEPA OS support. You  can select i.e. Windows 2008 R2 client to be a backup host. I recommend to use same backup host to be also a media agent host, to reduce network traffic.

Backup host connects to vmware environment and resolves objects for backup.

For example:

Simplest setup will be that you add VEPA and Media Agent components to your Cell Server, and import vCenter appliance (SLES 11.x x64 AFAIK). This way, your Cell Server will connect to appliance, resolve objects for backup, and put backup on device on Cell Server.

0 Likes
8 Replies
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi , this is how to do it on DP 9.0:

Go to Clients, and right click on Clients-> Import Client.

As name, put hostname of your vCenter, and as Type, select VMWare vCenter. Give credentials, and that's it.

You don't need to install any agents on any VMWare products.

Same procedure is for importing Windows vCenter system.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi, thank you for reply.

First, I have 8.1 version.

I add vCenter in clients list, but don't see "Virtual Environment" folder in "Backup" -> "Backup Specification".

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi. Same procedure works on DP 8.x.

In order to run virtual environment backup, you need to select one client to be a backup host. On that backup host, add virtual environment backup component (also called VEPA). Please refer to support matrices for VEPA OS support. You  can select i.e. Windows 2008 R2 client to be a backup host. I recommend to use same backup host to be also a media agent host, to reduce network traffic.

Backup host connects to vmware environment and resolves objects for backup.

For example:

Simplest setup will be that you add VEPA and Media Agent components to your Cell Server, and import vCenter appliance (SLES 11.x x64 AFAIK). This way, your Cell Server will connect to appliance, resolve objects for backup, and put backup on device on Cell Server.

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi, Asmer 

Soryy for long time-out.

It was very helpfull for me.

Best regards,

Victor

0 Likes
Highlighted
SLawZA Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am able to backup VM's using the insructions here, how do you enable the Granular Revovery to vcenter 5.5 appliance or is this only possible on vcenter server?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Slawza,

Granular recovery on Vmware Virtual Appliance is only possible on Data Protector 9.x using Advance GRE Web Plug-in.

Regards 

0 Likes
nigil Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

Granular Recovery is supported for VCenter Appliance 5.5.2 Onwards and DP minimum version should be 9.02.

Versions are strict minimal.

If you have the minimum requirement,

- Configure GRE

- login to VC Appliance webclient.

- In the VM context, you can see one new tab(HP DataProtector) towards the right extreme. Click.

- In the initial page you can see your requests for GRE. If no requests Select "New Request" and proceed.

-------------------------------

{Cheers by Kudos++}
0 Likes
tmas Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to add our vCenter server VCSA in order to do the vmware integrated backups, however when I try to import it using either the hostname or IP I get the following error messsage:

Bad message format 12:1009

Any idea's what I'm doing wrong?  We are running DP 9.04 and the VCSA is version 6.0 running SLES.

Thanks!

--Backup Environment--
Data Protector 9.05

Cell Manager (CentOS 6.8)
Storeonce VSA - SR: 3.13.3-1612.1
Storeonce 5500 - SR: 3.14.1-1607.1
HPE MSL4048 Tape Library - Firmware 8.90
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.