Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
ViciousXUSMC Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

DP10.03 Upgrade Issue - Error Hostname should start with alphabet character.

I have a Server 2016 Core that currently has 10.02 installed.  I am trying to upgrade it to 10.03 and then 10.04.

I get an error during the install of 10.04 where it refuses to install because it says the hostname must be a alphabet character.

This server does not have any crazy characters, it does start with a number, so I assume that is the error, but with 9, 10, 10.01, 10.02 all working, why would this now be an issue with 10.03? 

Is it a true restriction or simply bad checking by the installer now allowing me to install when it would work otherwise? 

Do we have any known work arounds? 

0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: DP10.03 Upgrade Issue - Error Hostname should start with alphabet character.

Hi @ViciousXUSMC,

The Cell Manager has this restriction with numbers beginning of the hostname. This is related to keytool used in the AppServer. While this restriction might go away in the future (hopefully) you have to use a RFC 952 compliant hostname for the Cell Manager today.

(DP) Support Tip: Restrictions for Cell Manager Hostnames
https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Data-Protector-Practitioners/DP-Support-Tip-Restrictions-for-Cell-Manager-Hostnames/td-p/1645390

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
ViciousXUSMC Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: DP10.03 Upgrade Issue - Error Hostname should start with alphabet character.

Yes I have seen those restrictions before, but;

1.) This is not a Cell Manager just a Cell

2.) I have had several versions of Data Protector installed on this machine without issues.,including 10.02.

Is this a true limitation or just artificially imposed?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @ViciousXUSMC,

Yes this is a true limitation from DP 10.03 even for clients.

Best Regards

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.