Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
IvanForceville
New Member.

DP6.1 filebackup is taking SQL backup

We have a DP6.1 environment running on a Windows server 2008x64. Database agent is available on the system.

We currently have 2 backupjobs running. One Filebackup job and one SQL backup job.

Both jobs run perfectly but the strange this is that during the filebackup job (C:-drives, D-drives,... of all servers included SQL server) the filebackup job also seem to take a SQL backup of the database.

After the filebackup job is done the SQL backup job is launched to backup all the SQL databases. So, we have 2 SQL backups at the end of the day.

Why is the filebackup job taking a SQL backup?
0 Likes
16 Replies
Shoghi Martinez Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DP6.1 filebackup is taking SQL backup

You mean that another job is starting after the FS backups ends? If yes then perhaps there is a post exec script that is starting this job.

HTH
Shoghi
0 Likes
Highlighted
IvanForceville
New Member.

Not realy,

The guys from the database team told me that they see 2 SQL database backups. Once at 20.00h when the Filebackup starts, and once at 21.00h when the SQL backup starts.

We excluded all the database files (mdf/ldf) from the filebackup because of the fact that the SQL backup is done an hour later.

No scripts are in place... I've installed the DP myself.
0 Likes
Tommy Brown Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello Ivan, We recently discovered an MSSQL backup that occurred about the same time as my file system backup. This is on an MSSQL2008 server. It actually happens 2 servers that have SP1 installed on them. It appears to be "self willed", we have an MSSQL disk backup that is defined and scheduled for a different time. The second process runs during the File system backup. We only see this on servers where SP1 is installed. We are still investigating and just today started a new MSSQL server with SP1. We will see what happens over the next few days.
Tommy
I may be slow, but I get there !
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I forgot to add I am running DP6.0
0 Likes
Shoghi Martinez Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What you mean? the backups are started by their own using DP? - I don't know if this is posible.

Ivan can you post the session log of the file system backup and the "child" MS sql backup log also?

HTH
Shoghi.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

We recently discovered a backup beginning about the same time as our DP6.0 File system backup. We do not start it, It just shows up in the Application event log. It uses the same specs as MSSQL backup that we do have scheduled and that has run successfully earlier in the evening. There no Pre-exec jobs that call the MSSQL backup. We have several MSSQL2008 servers and the mystery backup only occurs in the servers with MSSQL2008 SP1. We are still examining this and the symptoms appear similar to what Ivan is having. I do not think it is related to DP, but a glitch in MSSQL2008 SP1.
Tommy
0 Likes
IvanForceville
New Member.

I've checked the logs myself and I can see indeed in the SQL logfiles that 2 backups did run. One at ~19.00h and the other one at 21.00h

In attachment, and xls with the database backups. F.e. select one database and you will see that it's backed up two times.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Ivan,
Check your application event log:
The attachment shows the backups the we are experiencing.

Tommy
0 Likes
Absent Member.

I had an error about the mystery back up and corrected in the attachment.
0 Likes
IvanForceville
New Member.

Yep... we have the same issue.

@19.00h it mentions device information: (FILE=1, TYPE=VIRTUAL_DEVICE: {'{AD32D100-E6E7-42BE-916E-CBF9DDAC0F54}5'}).

@21.00h it mentions device information: (FILE=1, TYPE=VIRTUAL_DEVICE: {'Data Protector_(DEFAULT)_

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Good Morning Ivan, I just checked the logs on our newest server.. It also ran the mystery backup to:
device information: (FILE=1, TYPE=VIRTUAL_DEVICE: {'{FEB51061-6ECF-47A7-928E-7529481E514D}13'}).
It appears only to occur when the MSSQL SP1 is applied.
To me it is more a nuisance at the present time. How is it impacting you? Are you going to aggressively pursue this? To me it appears to be a Microsoft problem. I have searched on the internet, but found nothing yet.
Tommy
0 Likes
IvanForceville
New Member.

We're running SQL2005 Standard Edition 64bit with SP3 (9.00.4035.00) on Windows 2008 server x64

We will be investigating till resolution.
Keep you posted.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Ivan, I just found this and it appears to be the issue.
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqldatabaseengine/thread/c96bc256-99e5-453e-aa78-7910fe925f65

I am reading and looking at VSS.
Tommy
0 Likes
Absent Member.

This one also..
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175536.aspx
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.