Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DP6.11 - Virtual Environment backups over SAN...

I'm having a frustrating time trying to get Data Protector 6.11 to backup VMware virtual machines over SAN rather than use NBD (ethernet).  As far as I know the LUN that the datastore is on is presented to everything correctly (ESX and vCenter servers obviously, and Cell Manager) and that the EML is presented correctly.  I believe I've installed the DP agents correctly to all servers involved.  Here is my situation:

• Cell Manager  -  cellmgr  -  has DA, MA, UI, HP StorageWorks EVA SMI-S Agent, and VE Integration installed, this is a physical server with two HBAs
  • vCenter server  -  vcenter  -  imported as a vCenter server, also added as a client installing DA, MA, and VE Integration, this is a virtual machine
  • ESX server  -  server124  -  imported as an ESX server, also added as a client installing DA, MA, and VE Integration, this is a physical server and is the host that the virtual machine is residing on that I want to backup

The Cell Manager, cellmgr, sees the storage LUN on the SAN as two disks (two HBA's installed in the server) that are identical for all intents and purposes.

When I create the backup job I do the following:

• Right click Virtual Environment
  • Select Add Backup
  • Click Ok to the defaults on Create New Backup (Backup type is set to Local or network backup, no other option available in the dropdown)
  • I set the Client to be the server vcenter
  • I select the appropriate datacenter that the virtual machine is in
  • Backup method is vStorage Image (only option available)
  • Backup host is the server cellmgr (only option available)
  • Click Next
  • I drill down and pick the specific vdisk I want to backup (don't want to do the whole VM until I get this working over SAN)
  • Right click on the virtual machine and click Configure Virtual Machines
  • Click on Advanced and select SAN for the Transportation Method
  • Click Ok then Next
  • I select the two drives I want to use in the EML for backup purposes
  • I click Properties for each drive and set the media pool to use, as well as select Use preferred MultiPath host which is set to the server cellmgr, then click Ok
  • I click Next
  • I click Next on the backup options screen
  • I click Next on the schedule screen
  • I click Save as... to save the job

When I actually run the backup job, it does start the backup of the vdisk as it's supposed to, but it is not backing up over SAN, but using NBD (ethernet) instead.  I need to backup my virtual machines over fibre (SAN) and not ethernet due to the size of the vdisks involved, time constraints, and network efficiency in general.  We do not have a separate ethernet backup network so this would impact operations.

I am obviously missing something here but I really don't know what it is.  If anyone can help out, it would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Please help me to understand better what versions are you running:

* vCenter server 4.0/4.1/5.0 on Windows 2003/2008/2008 R2 32 or 64 Bit
* ESX version / 4.0/4.1/5.0 as ESX and/or ESXi
* Data Protector version and patches / OS running cell server

To have a working setup using VEPA (not the legacy integration for ESX 3.x and VCB), you need:
* import all ESX/ESXi hosts as ESX hosts / no agent must be installed to this hosts at all
* import vCenter as vCenter server / no agent must be installed at this host at all, only if regular file system and/or MSSQL backups for example are required
* install the DA, MA and VEPA to a Windows client that has MPIO setup to handle SAN LUNs correctly
* present the datastores only to the ESX hosts and hosts with the VEPA integration installed (cell server in your case)
* make sure LUNs are only visible once in Windows Disk Management on VEPA host / MPIO has to work
* bring those LUNs "online" / do NOT initialize the LUNs, since this will destroy data on the datastores

Now setup your backup. You don't have to force SAN transport mode, since DP will detect this and use it if available. If this is not going to work for you, there might be an issue related to a missing patch. Let me know how it goes and provide more information, if it does not work for you.

Regards,
Sebastian

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Versions:

• vCenter server 5.0 on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit
  • ESXi 5.0
  • Data Protector A.06.11, patch level DPWIN_00504

I installed the latest HP MPIO drivers and rebooted the Cell Manager upon completion.  I verified that only one disk for the LUN showed up in Disk Management, as opposed to two that showed up previously.  I brought them online and was careful to not initialize them. 🙂

I removed the vCenter server and ESXi hosts from the Cell Manager list of clients and uninstalled the DP agents that I had installed on them.

I imported the vCenter server as a vCenter server and did not install any agents.

I imported the ESXi hosts as ESXi hosts and did not install any agents.

I created the backup job again as per the steps I took above.  When running the job, it continued to use NBD instead of SAN.

Thank you for your assistance Sebastian.

Mike

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I belive this is a known problem fixed in 6.2x

If neccesary you can open call with HP and see if there is a 6.11 patch. I do not remember if we got a hotfix until 6.2 came out many months ago or what.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I think the issue is related to a bug in the software release you use that has been fixed in the meantime. Have seen this on 6.11 some time ago. Your CS patch level implies that your 6.11 cell is not at the latest level.

Please make sure your apply the mandatory patches for 6.11 (CORE, CS, MA, DA, etc.) including DPWIN_00511 (VEPA). An push it to the clients. I think the SAN transport will work as expected then.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you Tim and Sebastian.

I will first try patching Data Protector to the latest patch level and give it another shot.  If that doesn't work, I guess I will have to look at upgrading to 6.2 and try again.

Have a good weekend.

Mike

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well, I patched the various Data Protector agents, etc to the latest patch levels according to this site here.  The portions that I patched were:

• CORE Patch
  • Cell Server Patch
  • Cell Console Patch
  • Media Agent
  • Disk Agent
  • VE Agent

Deleted the vCenter and ESXi servers from the Cell Manager, imported them again, and created my virtual backup specification.  Still runs over NBD whether I pick Fastest or SAN specifically.

I'm guessing an upgrade to 6.2 is the likely fix for my problem at this point?

Mike

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

* present the datastores only to the ESX hosts and hosts with the VEPA integration installed (cell server in your case)

datastores its VLS or EVA\P9500 ?

cell manager, ESX hosts, datastores can be in one zone?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello All

Vcenter 5.0 is not supported with DP 6.11 you must upgrade to DP 6.2x or DP 7.0

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01842689/c01842689.pdf

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.