Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Absent Member.. KloppYNWA69 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

DP9.04 - Exchange 2013 backup and truncation of logs

The DP documentation says that a full backup of exchange 2013 will also truncate the logs.

How can I check that this is being done and how does the Exchange admin reduce the file sizes of the logs? They are concerned that the files are still growing....

thanks

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: DP9.04 - Exchange 2013 backup and truncation of logs

Hi KloppYNWA69,

the should monitor the contents of the log folder (time stamps of log files) for each database to see if truncate works correctly. Exchange will trunciated logs only if a full backup and incremental backup was executed. Differential backups will not remove any logs.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi Sebasian,

so will DP timestamp logfiles? Also we are doing nightly fulls so do we need to add incrementals as well?

Also, I'm getting reports from the exchange administrators that the DP passive copy backups are not getting time stamped and he's saying that the logfiles are not clearing.

I did say that DP will truncate logs and I would expect the administrators to perform shrinks of logfiles yes? Just like MSSQL....

This is exchange 2013.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Hi KloppYNWA69,

Logs in MSSQL and Exchange are somewhat different. MSSQL has a single log file. When Exchange creates new log files it has a timestamp for creation and ast accessed etc for each of them, like any other file in a file system. Backed up logs are just removed from disk. As a result you should not see any *.log files with older timestamps in the log directory of the database correctly backed up.

The question is if this backup is correctly configured. In a DAG environment (with passive copy) you need to configure the backup against the DAG and not just the primary server.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Tags (4)
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi Sebastian,

thanks for the info. So we should see logs being deleted then after heDP backup yes? This is a dag environment and I've configured against the dag hostname. Backup policy is "back up passive copy", "lowest acitivation preference" and "Use active copy for backup if no passive copies are available"

0 Likes
Absent Member..

So as I'm doing a passive copy it doesnt look like logs are truncated.

If the administrators want passive copies, how would it be best to manage the logfiles? Does an incremental passive copy truncate logs?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

This should work, while the Truncation lag time might cause some additional delay. Please ask the Exchange admin to check how it is configured.

The TruncationLagTime parameter specifies how long the Microsoft Exchange Replication service waits
before truncating log files that have already been applied to the database files. The maximum value is 14 days.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Absent Member..

thanks.

The manual states that a COPY backs up the database, logs and checkpoints but without truncating the transaction logs.

Maybe I should run an incremental and maybe a backup of active databases and see how it behaves. What do you think?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

You can try running an incremental, but if TruncationLagTime is causing a delay, nothing will change. The Full backup and the Incremental backup will truncate the logs.

Copy backup is another backup mode that will not truncate the logs. This is not related with a passive DAG copy.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.