Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

DPLNX_00246 Patch Installation Query

Hi All,

Have seen the HP Security Bulletin (HPSBMU02830 SSRT100889 rev.2 - HP Data Protector, Local Increase of Privilege) which refers me to the DPLNX_00246 patch as the appropriate DP 6.20 Patch file to fix this vulnerability for our Linux clients (see http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00408841?searchIdentifier=-3b870509%3a13e4582c932%3a6a86&resultType=document&documentURL=KM00408841&resultsURL=%2fselfsolve%2fpatches&allowReturn=true&searchString=&searchKey=2013-04-29+01%3a02%3a20)

My question is whether or not this patch is only applicable to environments that are running the Cell Manager on a Unix/Linux host.

We currently run our Data Protector Cell Manager on A winodws 2008 Server and have a dedicated Linux Installation Server that we use to deploy DP components/patches to our Linux backup clients. 

I ask this because the actual Read Me information for the DPLNX_00246 Patch (see  http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00408841?searchIdentifier=-3b870509%3a13e4582c932%3a6a86&resultType=document&documentURL=KM00408841&resultsURL=%2fselfsolve%2fpatches&allowReturn=true&searchString=&searchKey=2013-04-29+01%3a02%3a20) has the following instructions:

Special installation instructions:
DPLNX_00246:
NOTE!
This Patch must be installed on all servers where
Data Protector Cell Manager will be installed (my emphasis).

So, my question is, if we do not have a Unix/Linux based Cell Manager but do have a dedicated Linux Installation Server do we need to deploy this patch at all?  If yes, do we need to deploy it just to the Installation Server or do we then also have to deploy it to all our Linux clients using the usual console Upgrade method?

Thanking you for your considered reply,

Michael

0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Michael,

for your environment you will install the patch to the Linux Installation Server only.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
Admiral
Admiral

I couldn't see the point of installing that patch unless I was intending to have a Linux CM, which I'm not.

Jeremy

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Daniel,

I appreciate the advice.

All the best,

Michael

0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

I am having trouble understanding the installation instructions. We have an installation server on the same server as the Linux cell manager is running on.

In the installation instrutions it says:

If DP installation depot/rpm/package is copied to disk
	a. make a copy of omnisetup.sh from installation 
	   path
	b. copy /tmp/omnisetup.sh to 
	   installation path.
	c. use the new script to perform installation.

What is this "installation path" in b. ?

Should I then execute omnisetup.sh to upgrade the Cell Manager  ?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.