dpaugh Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Data Protector 6.1 Database

After upgrading to Data Protector 6.1 from DataProtector 6.0 the event view states "Description:
The filenames in the IDB must be converted to the correct format for A.05.50 as soon as possible.
You might experience problems, for example with browsing before restore, in case the filenames in the IDB are not converted.

Actions:
Run "omnidbupgrade -fname -udp" to perform the conversion of filenames in the IDB.
You can run "omnidbupgrade -fname -estimate" prior to the conversion to get an estimate for the duration of the conversion of filenames.
Note that backup sessions can be done concurrently to the conversion."

Taking the advice of the notification I ran omnidbupgrade -fname -estimate and got an aswer of 10 hours. I then ran omnidbupgrade -fname -udp. The process started on the first name and it is now a week later with no change. Rebooting the server and running the omnisv -stop command have failed to stop this process. Is there a way to stop the process? Will it ever finish?
0 Likes
4 Replies
Mariusz Sawinsk Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Data Protector 6.1 Database

Hello, I have a similar problem and would like to know i You managed to solve yours.

Thanks in advice.
0 Likes
dpaugh Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HP tech support was no help. They had me try a couple of things and told me they would ge back to me. I managed to find this procedure by a few hours of trial and error. I stopped the data protector services (open a dos prompt and go to the \omniback\bin directory and type omnisv -stop) this did not stop the rds service however so I had to do so using the task manager in windows (just type ctl+alt+del click the processes tab, right click the rds process and select end process). I then renamed the \omniback\db40\datafiles\cdb\sessions.dat file. I then set the rds service to start manually and rebooted the server. Once the server was up I could rename the sessions.dat file back to it's original name and start the rds service. At this point the filename conversion job was no longer running but if the server was rebooted or the services restarted the job would start running again. I then did a write and read of the database. To do this go back to the command line and to the \omniback\bin directory and type omnidbutil -write db -cdb -mmdb . This will write the database in text to the folders you specify. Once the database has been written go back and read it back in omnidbutil -readdb -cdb -mmdb . Be patient the write and read can take a while depending on the size of your database. After I did this I found in the notifications under reports showed that the session had completed successfully and has it has not come back to haunt me. HP tech support said that the clients had not been updated and therefore the process hung on the first client however the clients had been updated. It was a netware client that it hung on. Nothing seem to like netware very much. I still get a "backup session manager encountered a problem and needed to close" error that pops up when I remote into the box after scheduled backups have run but everything seems to be working fine. This error was there before the fname problem so I don't believe it's related. HP has no patches for 6.1 yet. Hopefully these problems will be addressed in the first patches. So far the upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1 has been less painful that the upgrade from 5.5 to 6.0.
0 Likes
Mariusz Sawinsk Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank U very much it helped.
I have a new problem now (will start a new thread) but trying to solve it found that the best way to convert the database is to restore it to a version before upgrade (I know that its not always possible) write and read the database and after it preform the upgrade.

Thanks again
add Your answer here and I con try to assign some points for it
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1316311
0 Likes
Eugene I. Petru Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you! It helped me too!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.