Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Absent Member.. blackmoon99 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Data Protector 7.0 support for Mac OS 10.7

Hi,

I have a customer running the cell manager 7.0 on a Windows 2008 and he has a new Mac Server version 10.7 which need to have a DA installed.

I check the support matrix and it says that it is supported up to 10.6, but I gave it a try anyway just in case.

So I installed the DA by modifying the omnisetup.sh (under Darwin  I change the value of 10 by 11), if I telnet on port 5555 on the Mac, it does answer.  From the Ma, I can also telnet on the cell manager, both hosts file contain the name of the other system.

I imported the Mac client using the gui on the cell manager (it shows apple i386 masos-10.7.5 under System OS), doing a backup test job I can browse the Mac client system and select a test directory.

The problem is that I get an error in the backup process right after it started the DA on the Mac saying: Critical error VBDA@system_name.domain "/Volumes/Archives"

Cannot Connect to the media agenton system Cell_manager_name, port 62899 (IPC Invalid..)

No firewall is set on any of the systems.

Now the easy answer is that of course it is not supported (which makes a lot of sense), but is it the reason or could it be something else.

Mac OS 10.7 is there for quite a while now, does anyone succeeded installing a working DA on it.

If I do the same process on a Mac that is at version 10.6, it works without any problems.

Thanks

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. sheng-ling.coad Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Re: Data Protector 7.0 support for Mac OS 10.7

Hi,

I was trying to back up our MAC client. Could you please tell me where in the omnisetup.sh that you changed the value?

I am curious to find out if the backup and restore works after the DA is installed.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Data Protector 7.0 support for Mac OS 10.7

You stated two possibl e reasons for the error

Cannot Connect to the media agenton system Cell_manager_name, port 62899 (IPC Invalid..)

- Unsupported version of the Disk Agent Mac Server version 10.7

- The possibility of a Firewall

First, I checked the DP 8 support matrix to see if Mac Server version 10.7 might be supported, and it shows no support, which is just as well, because, in good conscience, I can't recommend an upgrade to DP 8 at this time

So, this might be the problem, although it really can't be investigated by the Response Center because of the non-support issue

However, the error itself just shouts 'Firewall', this is the typical error encoutered when trying to backup thrugh a firewall

After the initial contact between the Cell manager, the Disk Agent and the Media Agent, DP uses 'Dynamic Port Addressing' to assign any port that is available, in this case port

Normally, we would recommend that you add

OB2PORTRANGE=[postnumber]-[portnumber]

to the 'omnirc' file on both the disk agent and the media agent (on Windows systems, the Data Protector INET service must also be stopped and restarted)

The actual range of ports would have to be assigned by the Firewall Administrator, and a Firewall rule must be created

Now, maybe MAC 10.7 has an extra level of security built in that incorporates a filewall, I really don't know.  You can try your work-around to install a Disk Agent, establish a firewall rule, and add the OB2PORTRANGE to both the disk agent and media agent, and it may work.  But, it is also totally unsupported, and you would be on your own

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.