Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Respected Contributor.. Andy___H1 Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Data Protector 7 to 9 Upgrade Failure

Hi,

So today we attempted an upgrade from 7 to 9 on one of our DP servers, and it has not gone to plan, and we can get it working, hoping someone out there has some help or advice.

It the Cell Manager upgrade which is not working. Our Cell Manager is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, Service Pack 1. We downloaded the 9.0 code on the server and followed the instructions from here:

https://www.data-protector.org/wordpress/2016/07/runbook-migrate-data-protector-7-0x-data-protector-9-0x/

We did our cleanup of the existing database, unloaded and loaded it back in to clean it ready for the upgrade. Also took all the backups as required. Then started the 9 upgrade setup.exe program. Left all the defaults, added in our password, and kicked it off. It failed, saying IDB database not created. Looking at the ProgramData Omniback folder, we agree, the db80 folder wasn’t there. So we checked the log folder, in the hpdp-idb-cp.log file:

Hpdpidb/hpdp@127.0.0.1:57085 Pooler Error: query wait timeout

Hpdpidb/hpidb_app@127.0.0.1:57xxx Pooler Error: query wait timeout

Hpdpidb/hpdp@127.0.0.1:57xxx Pooler Error: pgbouncer cannot connect to server

Hpdpidb/hpidb_app@127.0.0.1:57xxx Pooler Error: pgbouncer cannot connect to server

So this pgbouncer is the postgres database, saying it could not connect. We checked and this server never had any DNS servers setup. The DP7 install had relied on its “host” file to house all the IP/shortname/FQDN for all the hosts we were backing up. When I did an ipconfig there were no DNS entries anywhere. So we installed DNS, set up an entry for the cell manager, and added a reverse lookup. Ran nslookup and proved it worked for the cell manager IP/shortname/FQDN.

Tried the setup.exe again, same errors. We did also turn off Windows firewall thinking that may have been blocking it and it did not work. We took the 127.0.0.1 localhost entry out of the “hosts” file and that came up with the same error, but just with “::1” as the IP. We enabled IPV6 also hoping for some reason that would be the issue, and whilst the setup.exe ran for a longer time, when we checled the hpdp-idb-cp.log  file, same messages.

When I did an omnisv –status, the hpdp-idb was down after the install failed. GUI would start, but the Internal Database would not connect. So to us it looks as if it can’t create the database because it can’t connect to the server, even though when we run nslookup, it works fine.

So we’re stuck, a DP 9 install now but with no IDB, no way forward, our only choice is to backout to 7, which we are reluctant to do as we will need to do this at some point in time as we have new hosts that won’t work with DP7. The effort doesn’t seem justified to get back to 7 if getting to 9 by fixing our connection issues is a quick fix.

Please please please, if anyone out there has any ideas we would be grateful. Of and just to annoy you all (and me!) I cannot upload any logs, all I can do is type them up as I see them on my cell manager screen, in another room, to this screen that I am typing on now! Didn't say this would be easy ;-)

Thanks,

Andy

0 Likes
4 Replies
Jenni_S Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Data Protector 7 to 9 Upgrade Failure

Hi Andy,

Sounds like you had a tough day :-(

I think you need to roll back. Start a fresh, get DNS working fully on the DP7 install, start again tomorrow. I've been there (many times) you have my sympathy....

You have confirmed that you ran all of the IDB maintenance tasks prior to the upgrade. (filenames purge force / fixmpos / remap dcdirs / dcbf purge force / write/readdb - check that list, if you skipped any of those steps make sure you do them before the next attempt)

You stated that you fixed DNS then started the setup.exe again. Did you rollback so you were starting with the orignal DP7 install again before you ran the setup.exe? Reason I'm asking is that part of the upgrade process is to export the IDB to flat file then import it into the postgressql database. If you didn't roll back in between then this part won't work properly

I had a lot of issues upgrading from DP7 to DP8 when postgres IDB first came out. The upgrade process was crappy and failed a lot. So I used to use this whitepaper to do a manual upgrade (e.g. prep cell, export IDB to flat file, uninstall DP7, install the new version of DP cleanly from scratch, import the IDB from file to postgres)

I stll use this process for DP7-9 upgrades that go wrong.

I suggest you take a look at the whitepaper and try the manual upgrade using this method?

regards,
jenni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, please click on KUDOS!
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Hi Jenni,

Many thanks for your help and support on this, appreciate it. Well we ended up stopping the "automated" migration process, and went with the manual one in the white paper. However we kinda got stuck on the first hurdle of the -export of the database due to a missing DLL, msvcp71.dll.

We have found a copy of this from another server and will hopefully be trying again today. First step to regsvr32 the dll in to Windows, and then try the omnimigrate process again to -export the data.

Thankfully throughtout the process we were able to backout the upgrade each time back to 7, but hopefully we can get to 9 this time!

Thanks,

Andy

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Well progress, sort of, but still not upgraded to 9!

So we put the dll in the SysWOW64 folder, no need to regsrv32 it (that fails!), and hey presto the omnimigrate worked. We then deleted out 7 completely, and tried the DP 9 clean install.

Still problems, same issues as last week with the automated migration from 7 to 9. So we look at it can't start the DP IDB service. Errors in the logs refer to problems with the userid we are using to start the IDB service, the same userid we use for all the DP services:

"1385 logon failure the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer"

Now given this environment is not a domain, just standalone servers using "hosts" files, we assume these are local group privileges it needs, which it never needed for DP7, as new IDB is different. Checking the install guide it does mention some additional privileges which we will check on. If only I'd read all the manual before trying this upgrade!

Thanks,

Andy

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

So we ended up getting the Windows experts in and they changed some local Windows permissions and policies. And still no joy. So we ended up renaming Program Files & ProgramData "OmniBack" folders out the way, which had been written too many times by the failed 9.00 installs, and tried again, and hey presto it worked.

We had to manually put back in config type data, e.g. datalists, schedules, users, etc... which were in the renamed Program Files, but hey, it came back.

Now we've got the cell manager updated to 9.00, and 9.09, we're working on clients. Few issues with them, but they are all our local issues with firewalls and networks and the like. Whoever set up this environment should be shot, but hey, we are where we are, and we have to fight our way through it to get it all done.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.