Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Data Protector 8 features

Hi,

I am being asked if Data Protector 8 is capable to do something equivalent or similar to Symantec 2012 BE P2V on the fly with V-Ray.

Mainly what we need is a way to do with Data Protector a backup of a physical server, but, in case this server dies, to restore it directly to a vm, as a DR scenario.

But Backup Exec is capable of doing this conversion on the fly, just as if we were doing a P2V of the physical machine without having to do any manual work, i.e., create the vm, install OS, etc...

So, my question is if DP8 is also able to do this, or something similar.

Can anyone help me?

Regards,

0 Likes
5 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

To my knowledge, there is no such capability within Data Protector of any version.  By default, Data Protector will restore to the system where it was backed up from.  This can be changed in the GUI, but thee is nothing 'Automatic' about it

I am going to look at DP 8 Bare-Metal restore to see if that offers anything similiar as soon as I can access the document

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

I think you do not have a direct method. But this is achievable through a workaround.

You can use EADR function to create the backup. Then using the .iso image you may boot a virtual machine and restore the EADR backup. You have the option to add additional drivers if required during restore process.

** Normally EADR restores are for same config. But this is also working in most of the times.

0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

you should be able to do this. hiere is an output from a dp paper:

"Complete system recovery from physical-to-virtual or virtual-to-physical across dissimilar

hardware"

in the eadr process you can specifiy additional drivers. Think when you boot with the eadr iso file, during the wizard you have the option for restore on dissimilar hardware. did never test this, but maybe you can give it a try. Also have a look at the dp disaster recovery paper

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Both are right, I had thought about the EADR method, but, once again, I am focusing on the word 'Automatic'

I could not find the Bare metal disaster recovery guide in any of my documentation

0 Likes
Cadet 1st Class Cadet 1st Class
Cadet 1st Class

Hi Bob

You can find the DP Documents here:

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/manuals

you need an account with active SAID for DP. Search for Disaster Recovery...

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.