Contributor.
Contributor.

Data Protector 9.08 Digital signature problems during upgrade of windows 2003,2008sp1

I am seeing an issue when I attempt to upgrade my older windows host DP clients from 9.07 to 9.08. Newer windows (2012, etc.) upgrade just fine. Windows installation server is on version 2012 with DP 9.08. The cell manager is RHEL 6 w/9.08. Here is what I get on older windows hosts when I try to upgrade them to 9.08 from 9.07, seems to be all older win2003, and win2008. I've been running on 9.07 for months now without issue. I am currently just continuing to have those older windows servers use the 9.07 DA and that is working fine. I believe the issue may be that the root CA cert required is not available to these older hosts via the autoupdate of same. All my hosts can reach the internet fine (i.e. not disconnected) and I see evidence of them successfully reaching to get updated root CA certs at upgrade time. The Comodo cert is not present on the old hosts, but is present on the hosts that can be successfully upgraded. I am not sure how to load the cert onto the old hosts and whether that is a red herring or the solution or cause of the problem.

[Critical] <HOSTNAME> [70:32] Digital Signature verification of the install kit failed.

[Critical] <HOSTNAME> Cannot start setup process from the Data Protector share on
your Installation Server, system error:
[87] The parameter is incorrect.
(System error should give description of the problem.)

In general:
* Make sure that Data Protector share on your Installation Server is visible on the network
(in MS-DOS prompt on client type: dir \\<IS_COMPUTER_NAME>\OmniBack)
* Make sure that Data Protector Inet process is not running under a user account, which does
not have access to the Data Protector share on the Installation Server computer
(usually this is local account)

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
New Member.

Re: Data Protector 9.08 Digital signature problems during upgrade of windows 2003,2008sp1

Hello,

Are you using ECC?  this could be related to the encrypted control communication but I dont think so.

Also Windows 2003 and Windows 2008x32bits are not longer support, please check if you have any of those O/S having issues.

Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Data Protector 9.08 Digital signature problems during upgrade of windows 2003,2008sp1

Hello

Please open support call and request hotfix for resolve this issue.

https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/QCCR2A71276

Best Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Hello Adam, you may open a support request using as reference case 5314531271, seems to be the same situation you are experiencing. 

Marcos A.
SW Support Technical Consultant
San Jose, Costa Rica
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

we had a similar error and solved it by changing the following registry entry.....

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\AuthRoot\

change DisableRootAuth to ZERO, not 0x000000001

hope that helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Are all your machines patched that give the error?  I'm curious if a Windows security update might update the certs in question.  

I ran into the same issue with a couple of servers, but due to the systems being on a separate network and not having access to the internet, I just uninstalled DP 9.07 and then installed 9.08 from the share on the installation server.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.