Contributor.
Contributor.

Data Protector 9.08 Digital signiature problems during upgrade of windows 2003,2008

I am seeing an issue when I attempt to upgrade my older windows host DP clients from 9.07 to 9.08. Newer windows (2012, etc.) upgrade just fine. Windows installation server is on version 2012 with DP 9.08. The cell manager is RHEL 6 w/9.08. Here is what I get on older windows hosts when I try to upgrade them to 9.08 from 9.07, seems to be all older win2003, and win2008. I've been running on 9.07 for months now without issue.

[Critical] <HOSTNAME> [70:32] Digital Signature verification of the install kit failed.

[Critical] <HOSTNAME> Cannot start setup process from the Data Protector share on
your Installation Server, system error:
[87] The parameter is incorrect.
(System error should give description of the problem.)

In general:
* Make sure that Data Protector share on your Installation Server is visible on the network
(in MS-DOS prompt on client type: dir \\<IS_COMPUTER_NAME>\OmniBack)
* Make sure that Data Protector Inet process is not running under a user account, which does
not have access to the Data Protector share on the Installation Server computer
(usually this is local account)

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Data Protector 9.08 Digital signiature problems during upgrade of windows 2003,2008

Hello Adam,

any news yet? We have exactly the same problem after upgrading from 9.07_10 to 9.08.
I 'm gonna open up a ticket today.

Kind regards,
Guido

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Data Protector 9.08 Digital signiature problems during upgrade of windows 2003,2008

Nothing yet, I think there is something wrong with root cert used to sign the kit and that it only affects older windows server versions, but I do not have proof of that. I also will open a case and post what I learn here, if you could too, that would be great. For now, I've left my old windows hosts running 9.07 DA and that seems to work ok (as it should).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hello Adam,

it seems like they wont support Windows 2003, 2008 32 bit anymore:
"Unfortunately Windows server 2003 is out of support for a long time both by HPE Data protector and Microsoft. About this failing upgrades we cannot assist any further. If Windows sever 2008 are 32 bit we can also not give any further assistance because they are not supported either by HPE Data protector."

Bute they're gonna check my Windows 2008 64 bit non R2 systems. Let's see what happens.

Kind regards
Guido

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Great, let me know. I opened a case also but it really hasn't moved to anything that helps. I figure whatever fixes the problem for 2008 r1 64-bit will probably fix it for the unsupported as well. I wonder if a manual load of the Comodo root CA cert to the local host is the fix.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi Adam,

I've closed the case now because I've found an acceptable workaround (only 7 systems affected here):
I've manually deinstalled the old 9.07 client and reinstalled the 9.08 client from the installation share.
It works on both Windows 2008 64bit SP2 and old Windows 2003 32bit without a problem.
Perhaps you do have more luck with your case.

Kind regards
Guido

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Thanks, question: after you uninstalled 9.07 manually, did you have to also __manually__ reinstall by mounting the share or etc. or were you able to just use the DP GUI to install 9.08 like it was a new client? Basically, I am wondering if the reinstall of 9.08 was the same as if you were just adding a new client or if instead you had to do something manual with the installation share on the 2003 or 2008 system to run the install kit. I've only got about 15 or so and I could probably do them manually as a workaround as well. also 9.07 seems to be working, so I may just do nothing if the case goes no where.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I am seeing this issue with a Windows 2008 R2 box as well.  Same errors...

[Critical] <test> [70:32] Digital Signature verification of the install kit failed.

[Critical] <test> [70:32] Digital Signature verification of the install kit failed.

[Critical] <test> Cannot start setup process from the Data Protector share on

your Installation Server, system error:

[87] The parameter is incorrect.

(System error should give description of the problem.)

In general:

* Make sure that Data Protector share on your Installation Server is visible on the network

(in MS-DOS prompt on client type: dir \\<IS_COMPUTER_NAME>\OmniBack)

* Make sure that Data Protector Inet process is not running under a user account, which does

not have access to the Data Protector share on the Installation Server computer

(usually this is local account) 

[Critical] <test> [110:1026] Lost connection to client test1:

Details unknown.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

we had a similar error and solved it by changing the following registry entry.....

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\AuthRoot\

change DisableRootAuth to ZERO, not 0x000000001

hope that helps!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi Adam,

I did a manual reinstall from the installation share without the DP GUI.
Have you tried changing the client registry that KloppYNWA69 suggested?

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\AuthRoot\
change DisableRootAuth to ZERO, not 0x000000001

Kind regards
Guido

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.