Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Data Protector 9 with VMWare Exsi 5.5

Hi, 

I get the PDF HP Data Protector Software Version: 9.00 Integration Guide, but I'm not abled to use Virtual Environment features. Can someone help me or indicate me a real documentation for Data Protector 9 with VMWare integration ? I read some documentation for DP6.20 with old version of Exsi and it cannot applicate same for DP9 + Exsi 5.5.

Thanks for your help

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Data Protector 9 with VMWare Exsi 5.5

Suggest to check this guide:

HP Data Protector 9.00 Integration for Virtualization Guide

Search for Document ID KM01024689 on SoftwareSupport Page to get it.

For the Supported configurations check:

Support Matrix: HP Data Protector 9.00 Virtualization

Document ID KM01024805

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi svollrat,

Thanks for your reply.

The Virtualization Guide is a part of the Integratio Guide Part5 Chapiter 17. So I already try the instructions with client importation way, the client host can be list, but it doesn't work. Not possible to add backup definition.

And about the compatibility, I think it is ok. 

We just want to compare the performance between the common Disk agent backup and Virtualisation environment backup. But I see that the virtualisation environment backup is a little bit complex to integrat.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I assume you only imported the vCenter Server as vmwarehost to the Cell with Credentials that have sufficient privilleges in vSpere.

You also need a BackupHost that manages the VMware-Backup, that Server needs the Virtual Environment Agent installed and ideally also the Media Agent. This BackupHost also schould be zoned to see all ESX Datastores (assuming SAN-Environment here).

During Backup-Config you then simply select the vCenter as Client and your MediaServer/BackupHost as Backup-Host.

After that the BackupHost queries the vCenter (with the Credentials given during vCenter import) and lists the available Datacenters afterwards.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

You confirme what I said 😞 too complicate !

Thanks for the clarification.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

needs some preparation, that is true

for me it makes it up with very good Backup-Performance and almost no impact on the VMs

currently read around 700GB/h over two MediaServers, more would be possible.

With the DiskAgent in the VMs we easily filled up the CPU, RAM and NICs on the ESX; nothing left for customer during Backup.

With VEAgent Backup the only things under stress are the BackupHost/MediaServer and the SAN-Disks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Ok, I will try it.

Thanks for the performance indication, very important for us.

🙂

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.