Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Data Protector Cell DR on HP-UX

Jump to solution
Hi,
The hp-ux B.11.11 server that had a data protector cell installation on it lost its boot disk and had to be reinstalled from scratch. I am now trying to disaster recovery data protector back onto this hp-ux server. Can anyone tell me the steps or post a link directly to steps in recovering the cell manager and the rest of data protector? The hp-ux server was recovered using the same host name and ip that it had before.

Thank-you so much!
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

If you have recovered the cell server from an ignite tape which does not have the dataprotector porduct you will need to do the following.

1. Install DP 5.5 and all patches on the cell manager.
2. omnidbinit - initialise IDB
3. comment the line with omnitrig in cron. you don't want any backup jobs kicking in until you are satisfied with the recovery
4.Recreate the device (or libaray) that was used for IDB backup. This will need to be done manually, so that the tape can be imported.
5. In the GUI, from the devices and media menu, rescan the tape (or slot in the case of library) with IDB so that the medium is visble in the DP GUI.
6. Right click on the device (slot in the case of library) with IDB tape and select import.
7. You will be prompted for the media pool to be imported. Select the default pool available.
8. You will be prompted to specify additional options for the import session. Tick the radio box Import Copy As Original and set the Logging option to No Log
9.Click on the Finish button. An import session will start. Depending on the data on the tape, it may take long time. So be patient until the session reports that the import is complete.
10.Create a temporary staging filesystem.The size should be more that the size of your IDB database.
11.In the GUI, select restore
12.Select Internal Database from the scoping pane, then select the cell manager and select the database
13.In the results area (on the right), right click on the â /â and select Restore Version. the default value here is correct. but just make sure that you see the info there.
14.Click on the OK button and select Destination from the tab above. Change the destination location to the staging directory you created before. To do this, select the Restore to a new location radio box and type /file_systems_name in the text box Also double check that the target host is your cell manager.
15. Select restore button to start restore
16. click on finish
17. Once the restore is complete stop DP. omnisv -stop
18. Remove /etc/opt/omni/* and /var/opt/omni/*. You may want to take a copy of these directories, if you wish as a precaution.
19.copy /etc/opt/omni/* and /var/opt/omni/* from the staging file system you created.
20 start omniback using omnisv -start
21. Start GUI and verify media,session etc.
22. Once you are happy enable omnitrig in the crontab.

Hope this helps
-PB

Take life as it comes

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

- Was the OS reinstalled or recovered (e.g. from an Ignite backup) ?
- Do you have any backup of the DP database ?
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Yes my hp-ux server was recovered using another hp-ux's ignite server backup so the original install of the cell manager is gone.

I do have a very recent dp database backup on tape.

Data protector is version 5.5

Thank-you so much for you assistance!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

If you have recovered the cell server from an ignite tape which does not have the dataprotector porduct you will need to do the following.

1. Install DP 5.5 and all patches on the cell manager.
2. omnidbinit - initialise IDB
3. comment the line with omnitrig in cron. you don't want any backup jobs kicking in until you are satisfied with the recovery
4.Recreate the device (or libaray) that was used for IDB backup. This will need to be done manually, so that the tape can be imported.
5. In the GUI, from the devices and media menu, rescan the tape (or slot in the case of library) with IDB so that the medium is visble in the DP GUI.
6. Right click on the device (slot in the case of library) with IDB tape and select import.
7. You will be prompted for the media pool to be imported. Select the default pool available.
8. You will be prompted to specify additional options for the import session. Tick the radio box Import Copy As Original and set the Logging option to No Log
9.Click on the Finish button. An import session will start. Depending on the data on the tape, it may take long time. So be patient until the session reports that the import is complete.
10.Create a temporary staging filesystem.The size should be more that the size of your IDB database.
11.In the GUI, select restore
12.Select Internal Database from the scoping pane, then select the cell manager and select the database
13.In the results area (on the right), right click on the â /â and select Restore Version. the default value here is correct. but just make sure that you see the info there.
14.Click on the OK button and select Destination from the tab above. Change the destination location to the staging directory you created before. To do this, select the Restore to a new location radio box and type /file_systems_name in the text box Also double check that the target host is your cell manager.
15. Select restore button to start restore
16. click on finish
17. Once the restore is complete stop DP. omnisv -stop
18. Remove /etc/opt/omni/* and /var/opt/omni/*. You may want to take a copy of these directories, if you wish as a precaution.
19.copy /etc/opt/omni/* and /var/opt/omni/* from the staging file system you created.
20 start omniback using omnisv -start
21. Start GUI and verify media,session etc.
22. Once you are happy enable omnitrig in the crontab.

Hope this helps
-PB

Take life as it comes

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Reinstall and repatch Data Protector.
Reconfigure the library and a drive.
Import tape with IDB backup on it.
Restore IDB to temp location.
Stop Data Protector and move restored IDB to real location.
Restart Data Protector.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thanks for your replies! Sorry I am so slow at getting a reply out, this server has continually given me grieve even after Data Protector was installed and running. I then found the server had a corrupt logical volume that I had to deal with. Once the users were back on the system there was, of course problems with a few missing items that needed to be restored. Days later, the system gave me more problems. So thanks again for the replies they were very helpful!

I will assign the points.

Lucinda
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.