Highlighted
New Member.

Data Protector Install on Test Linux Server

Hi All,

I use to install other backup software with dummy devices like /dev/nst0, nst1 etc.. linked to file system and perform backup test scenarios;. With data projector I like to do the same. any input or tips to setup a test data protector will be appreciated.

Regards,

Smt 

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

You can use "Standalone" device type, then specify path to be /dev/null. Obviously you cannot restore from such devices, but it has the benefit of not requiring any I/O on destination, so it is useful for benchmarking DA and link between DA and MA.

For file-backed devices, you can use "File Library" device type, where you only specify a directory where media files will be created.

You can also create a "Jukebox" device type, where you can add individual files as media to be used.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

In addition:

Linking /dev/nst0 to a regular file will prevent any advanced tape handling ioctls from working properly, so it's bound to fail with DP (or anything more complicated than pure tar(1) or dump(8)). If you really want to test tape-like backup without any real hardware and the alternative storage devices given by antaln aren't enough, you might get a free 1TB StoreOnce virtual appliance and iSCSI towards a VTL running on that. There's a VSA version available for KVM, so it should be possible to get it running on any Linux box whatsoever.

HTH,
Andre.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.