Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Data Protector - Poor / Unknown Drives - Backups not running

Hi All,

My Issue is as below, any advice is greatly appreciated:

There are a number of slots in a single VTL that I created that are now showing as 'poor' and as 'unknown' for their format in DP 9.04, some are even showing as just a grey slot symbol with their number (not identifier) and without a blue question mark. Backups had been running fine for weeks untilt his issue began a couple of days ago.

Error messages are:

cannot write filemark

cannot rewind medium

cannot close device

cannot unload exchanger medium 

The backup jobs hang at ‘loading medium from slot’, then eventually the next message I get is ‘Ejecting medium’, then ‘aborting media agent ‘servername_vtl_drive[numer]’ 

DP then tries to use another drive for the backup but encounters the same issue, occasionally it gives the ‘cannot rewind medium’ error after dismounting a drive it has been unable to use. It then marks the slots that it has been unable to use as ‘Quality: Poor’ as a result. They had previously been showing as ‘Quality: Good’ before the backup jobs tried to use them. 

I have looked at the VTL and the HP B6200 Storeonce device that is hosting it, isn’t reporting anything out of the ordinary. I am unable to scan both media showing as ‘poor’ and also media showing as ‘unknown’. I am also unable to format that media too, it hangs at ‘loading medium from slot’ the same as the backup jobs do. 

I have been able to use the ‘omnimm –reset_poor_medium’ command to change the ‘poor’ drives back to ‘good’ but this doesn’t seem to be much use. 

I was wondering if anyone had encountered this before? or might know what could be causing it?

Many Thanks

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi,

the problem might be caused by a SCSI problem with the devices/changer. You need to check your fibre channel settings for the VTL used and presented to the host. Check if zoning is correct and server is connected. Use LTT Tools to try connecting to the VTL. Use "uma -ioctl <SCSI address of changer> -barcode" to see if you can connect to the VTL. Use "devbra -dev" to check if the devices are displayed as expected. In DP GUI, check if SCSI address for the changer and devices have changed.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.