Data Protector - Support Tip - What do Acronyms mean?
Thanks to Rodger Vetter for supplying the basis for this article
Data Protector is full of acronyms
An acronym is an abbreviation formed from the initial letters in a phrase or a word.
Sometimes other letters within a word are used too, as in DB for DataBase.
Data Protector uses acronyms in its messages. Knowing them will help you understand what a Session Report is telling you.
Here are two typical messages.
Message from RMA (Restore Media Agent) on Windows
[Normal] From: RMA@xyz "HP:Ultrium 5-SCSI_1_xyz" Time: 31/07/2013 10:36:05 a.m.
Loading medium from slot 9 to device Tape1:0:7:0C
Message from BMA (Bbackup Media Agent) on HP-UX
[Normal] From: BMA@abc.net "Backup Job" Time: 09/20/13 13:04:09
Loading medium from slot 629 to device /dev/rtape/tape93_BESTn
Cell Manager Processes These run on the Cell Manager only, of course.
- crs - Cell Request Server
- mmd - Media Management Daemon
- mmdb - Media Management DataBase
- rds - RAIMA Database Server
- (RAIMA was the company that provided the database engine that OmniBack used in versions 7.0x and below)
- kms - Key management server
- uiproxy - needed for the Java GUI (Graphical User Interface)
- ("ui" is the acronym; it's attached to the whole word "proxy")
Job Processes on the Cell Manager
All Session Managers run on the Cell Manager only.
- bsm - Backup Session Manager
- rsm - Restore Session Manager
- dbsm - DataBase Session Manager
- msm - Media Session Manager
- csm - Copy Session Manager
- asm - Administrative Session Manager
- asm - In Oracle: Automatic Storage Management
Processes on the DA (Disk Agent) Client
The Cell Manager host also can be a Client that runs Disk Agents.
- vbda - Volume (filesystem) Backup Disk Agent
- rbda - Raw (disk image or bit copy) Backup Disk Agent
- dbbda - DataBase Backup Disk Agent (the database is the Data Protector Internal Database (IDB))
- vrda - Volume Restore Disk Agent
- rrda - Raw Restore Disk Agent
- dbrda - DataBase Restore Disk Agent
- ob2bar- used for Application backups (Oracle, Exchange, SQL for example)
Processes on the MA (Media Agent) Client
The Cell Manager host also can be a Client that runs Media Agents.
- bma - backup media agent
- bma-ndmp - This is the Media Agent that understands NDMP (Network Data Management Protocol)
- rma - restore media agent
- rma-ndmp - Restore Media Agent that understands NDMP
- cma - Copy media agent
- cma-ndmp - Copy Media Agent that understands NDMP
- uma - Utility Media Agent (operates the library exchanger device)
- mma - Management Media Agent (Format, Scan, Verify, Import)
- devbra - Device Browser Agent