A.W.R Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Data Protector - backing up virtual machines

Hi,

We are implementing a VMware virtual environment, and looking at addressing the backup requirement. We use Data Protector. Since VMware is not capable of backing up directly to a tape library we need to backup to disk first. We are considering 2 options:-

1. Using the array snapshot functionality to take a snapshots of the array LUNs with the VMDKs. Mounting the snapshot on the media server and backing up to tape. Do we need Data Protector ZdB? If we go this route is it possible to provide DP granular recovery of the VMware for both ESX servers to restore individual objects for the virtual machines?

1. Using DP to control VMware with creation of the snapshots with VADP. My understanding is that this works on a per virtual machine basis. Since the snapshots will be a part of the VMware ESX environment we will need to backup to disk - VSA StoreOnce with local storage, and then to the DP Media server with the tape library. 

I am trying to understand which would be the better and more flexible option. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

0 Likes
1 Reply
Absent Member.. gcadrin Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Data Protector - backing up virtual machines

Hi

I would strongly advice you to review the VEPA integration guide, which talks about the backup concept of vmware.. Unfortunately, it's hard to give recommandations since we do not know you environment or your business needs.

I wouldn't personnaly do a ZDB of vmware unless your sla would require it..

You should consult the Integration guide for Virtual environment ( From the GUI, help -> Guides -> and select the integration guide for virtual environment   and also the GRE user guide for vmware ).

Best regards

Gilles

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.