Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Contributor.. Bill Hassell Contributor..
Contributor..

Data Protector future?

With HP Software moving to Micro Focus, any ideas about how this will affect classic HP-UX options such as Data Protector and Glance? Will patches and support contracts continue or move to a completely different model? What about DP and Glance future development?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
0 Likes
3 Replies
Super Contributor.. Brendan_Reilly Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Re: Data Product future?

Hi Bill,

I think we're in limbo right now. We've been using DP for over 10 years and haven't received much in the way of a roadmap about how support will be transitioning. Even the HPE storage reps I deal with are not trying to keep us on DP like they were last year. 

I will be honest and say that with our recent support experiences (last 2 years) and with the unreliability of updates have pushed us so far away from loyalty we are looking at alternate products.

Also, our 3 year support contract is up in April and I expect it to go up significantly.

I would be prudent and look at the market and see if there is something else that fits your requirments., if you do feel the need to switch sooner or later.

But like many, I have tapes I need to keep for 4+ years so DP will be around for at least that long.

I hope Micro Focus will keep DP going and improve it but I have a sinking feeling that DP was thrown into the software acquisition and it remains to be seen if MF cares about DP or if they will just abandon it in a year or two once all the support contracts run out and they realize how much work the product needs to compete again..

Good luck to all the DP users out there.

vcolonel Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Bill, Brendan,

My name is Sam Marsh and I'm the product manager for DP (along with Backup Navigator).

That is disappointing feedback regarding both your support experience, and also your storage reps experience - we recently strengthened our relationship with EG (Storage) and they will continue to resell Data Protector once we move to Micro Focus in a few weeks time.

Regarding Data Protector, I can assure you there is nothing to worry about regarding our future. Patches and releases will continue, and we have a very aggressive roadmap for the next 12-18 months, including our recently launched  phase one of many for our new user interface. Businesses dont generally invest in a UI overhaul if they are going to be abandoning the product - and i hope that you can take some confidence from that :)  

There has also been a lot of talk about Data Protector from executive HPE management (Chris Hsu, CEO of the new post-merge HPE Software/Micro Focus company), which can be found here

I unfortunately cant talk to 'Glance' as i have no experience of that, but you can verify for yourself that it is still alive and supported via the obsolescence page here

Many thanks,

Sam Marsh, Product Manager, HPE

Eblyn Solis Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Sam Marsh

Due to the new changes they have in plans some training and when they would be available?

Regards

Please assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.