Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Absent Member.. Jargal Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Data Protector number of streams for Exchange 2010

Hello all,

DP 6.11 latest patches

Exchange 2010 backup up via VSS

10 drives assigned-- concurency 10- dynamic 10-10

20 streams ( files + logs ) available

Im backing up an exchange 2010 in DP 6.11 and i cant increase the number of streams above 5. Some how there s this limitation on the Exchange or DP ( cant figure it out where ). Even is the backup is send to 1 drive concurency 8 it will still use only 5 streams at the time.

are you aware of any tweak in order to increase the number of streams?

Thank you

0 Likes
5 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Data Protector number of streams for Exchange 2010

I'm not aware of any limitations regarding VSS streams. It has been some time since all of my customers run at least 6.20 to leverage the Exchange 2010 integration which has much more to offer than only backup and restore. I can only recommend to log a case with HP support and ask them. Could be anything from Windows VSS, Exchange or Data Protector limitation. would be nice if you could report back to help others.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. JorgeP Absent Member..
Absent Member..

How many mailbox databases do you have on Exchange?

We had 5 and found that we couldn't get more concurrency (just 1 stream per mailbox DB) so we created more mailbox databases and re-arranged mailbox distribution.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

I would say that this might be the limitation. cause the number of streams in my env is exactly the number of mail boxes from which it takes data from. 

but know, do you have any idea how to improve the speed? im sending to vls and esl and even tho on the vls is better is still under decent limitis. 3tb/9h

thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. JorgeP Absent Member..
Absent Member..

We're getting 900 GB/3h to VLS with 6 devices.

Backups go LAN from Exchange servers to Cell Manager and then FC to VLS.

Bottleneck seems to be HP DP agents on Exchange servers, only 50% network  peak (GbE) each server (a normal copy from Explorer can use 90% network). We have a DAG with 2 servers (a third one on a DR site) so we let HP DP distribut load between all).

We noticed some improvement when upgraded from 6.20 to 6.21.

We are not using consistency check on the backups.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hello,

well i have 3tb/9h via SAN. so basically we have the same speed but you are using the LAN. 

thank you very much for all the help.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.