Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Data Protector

Jump to solution
Hi Guys.
Newbie here. I've got an issue when I use DP 6.11to backup certain parts of our network.

This is the error I get:

*---"hannah [/D]" Time: 12/1/2010 9:31:22 PM
The Change Journal is not active on the volume. The Change Log Provider could not be used.
In order to use the Change Log Provider, please activate the Change Journal on the volume.
This session will use the normal file system traversal.---*

This prevents the back up from going forth, and as such stalls until it's looked at.
This isn't so much of an issue as I can work around it. However, It fails to do the backup sometimes because of this error.

I'm new to this I dont really know anything about it. So sorry if it lacks more info.

I'm guessing I need to be able to increase the log size. I just dont know how.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
For that object I think you will have selected the "Enhanced incremental backup" option, and then "Use native Filesystem Change Log Provider if available".

"Change Log Provider" is windows functionality, maybe it is not available for that OS or Filesystem type.

Perhaps try unselecting Use native Filesystem Change Log Provider ?
Do this in "Backup Object Summary" tab, highlight the object, "Properties", Object Properties, Other tab. Remember to click on Apply.

For learning, when in the DP GUI and not sure what the options meant try pressing F1, then the help opens and explains the options.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
For that object I think you will have selected the "Enhanced incremental backup" option, and then "Use native Filesystem Change Log Provider if available".

"Change Log Provider" is windows functionality, maybe it is not available for that OS or Filesystem type.

Perhaps try unselecting Use native Filesystem Change Log Provider ?
Do this in "Backup Object Summary" tab, highlight the object, "Properties", Object Properties, Other tab. Remember to click on Apply.

For learning, when in the DP GUI and not sure what the options meant try pressing F1, then the help opens and explains the options.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thanks Stewart. I was a bit mis informed. Your answer was spot on though. It turns out I need the enhanced incremental backups on. So this does fix the error however, creates a new one.

Cheers
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.
The commands to check and enable the Change Log are described in the CLI manual, e.g.:
> omnicjutil -host localhost -volume /C -query

> omnicjutil -host NNN -volume /C -start
> omnicjutil -host NNN -volume /E -start -maxsize 150000000 -delta 37500000

> fsutil usn queryjournal C:

But from what I have seen, there is a problem with one of the Disk Agent patches and you need an additional patch.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thanks Uwe
I'll give it a go
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.