Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Absent Member.. shalt Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Data protector 6.2-VEA VMware backups over SAN

Jump to solution

I'm running DP6.2 on a HP-UX cell server and have VMware VEA backups working fine over the network to a Win2008 R2 64bit server running the VEA intergration.  Question: If I zone and mask the Windows VEA server so it see all the VMware ESX luns to enable SAN backups, how do I ensure that the Windows VEA server doesn't format the luns and destroy my VMs?  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Data protector 6.2-VEA VMware backups over SAN

Jump to solution
Windows itself will not initialize the disks unless someone uses the wrong button. You might want to restrict access to this server to prevent such situations. The LUN must be in the Online state to allow restores using SAN which is working quite nice. If you're running DP 6.21, the VEPA integration can be installed to Linux clients as well. Maybe you feel more comfortable with a Linux backup host that sees your VMFS stores. But anyway, an inpatient one might destroy your stores here as well. The paranoid ones stick with the NDB transport.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
1 Reply
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Data protector 6.2-VEA VMware backups over SAN

Jump to solution
Windows itself will not initialize the disks unless someone uses the wrong button. You might want to restrict access to this server to prevent such situations. The LUN must be in the Online state to allow restores using SAN which is working quite nice. If you're running DP 6.21, the VEPA integration can be installed to Linux clients as well. Maybe you feel more comfortable with a Linux backup host that sees your VMFS stores. But anyway, an inpatient one might destroy your stores here as well. The paranoid ones stick with the NDB transport.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.