Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DataProtector EJECT on Autoloader 1/8

I have a autoloader 1/8 with LTO2, generally works great with the included Data Protector (version A.5.50 build 330 per the 'about' box). This is on a DL380G4 running Win2003 Server Enterprise.

HOWEVER, I have one major problem: It can't EJECT a tape from the library for offsite storage without going through major contortions. First, I moved one slot (7) to its own storage pool so I could put offsite backups on their own dedicated tape, then I made such a backup, so far so good.

Then, I tried to 'eject' this tape so we could move it offsite. no dice, complains ...

[Critical] From: UMA@svafisteam.(mydomain) "HP:ThinStor AutoLdr_svafisteam" Time: 11/10/2005 8:38:15 AM
[90:221] Cannot EJECT repository element(s): (no mailslot(s) defined)

The *ONLY* way I can see to do this is to use the front panel to manually eject, then manually insert a new tape, then tell DP to rescan ("WARNING: Library Security Compromised", sheesh), and format this new tape.

I see from scanning this board, I'm NOT the only one with this problem, but no satisfactory solutions.

I do not see why the software can't treat the tape insert/eject slot as a pretend 'mailslot'.

Are there any software updates which would help me?
0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DataProtector EJECT on Autoloader 1/8

John,
Does your insert/eject slot actually have a slot designation? If so I would think you could use uma to do this manually. Although, I have run into just this issue listed in the man page:

"NOTE: Most autochanger do not allow you to move a tape from a drive to a repository location if the tape has not been dismounted and ejected by the drive. You might want to use the offl command on the drive device file/SCSI address to put the drive off-line before executing the move command."

Good luck,
Aaron
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

afaik, it doesn't. the autloader 1/8 ultrium 460 has 8 slots for LTO2 tapes, and the insert/eject opening on the front panel.

the tape in question HAS been ejected by the internal drive and is sitting in the internal carousel in slot 7. I just want to be able to take it and put it in a offsite vault, letting Data Protector keep track of the backup sessions on it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I found some similar forum postings where someone suggested a `stat` command in UMA...

C:\Program Files\OmniBack\bin>uma -ioctl scsi5:0.0.0
*** PROGRAM: UMA VERSION: HP OpenView Storage Data Protector A.05.50

*** (c) Copyright Hewlett-Packard Company 2004
*** License is restricted for use with licensed
*** HP OpenView Storage Data Protector products.

scsi5:0.0.0> stat
Element Status (T=Transport, X=Im/Export, D=Drive, S=Storage):
86 T1 Empty "" ""

82 D1 Empty "" ""

1 S1 Full "" ""
2 S2 Full "" ""
3 S3 Full "" ""
4 S4 Full "" ""
5 S5 Full "" ""
6 S6 Full "" ""
7 S7 Full "" ""
8 S8 Full "" ""
scsi5:0.0.0>

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You have an autoloader, which has no mailslots. Therefore, you cannot use the Data Protector Enter and Eject functions as they have no meaning.

Just open the library, take the tape out, put a new tape in, close the library, wait for the library to finish its inventory, go into Data Protector and Scan those slots whose content you have changed.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Oh, this is the pizza box. Oh, so there's no door to open. You just use the Eject feature on the front panel of the autoloader.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thats about a 15 minute procedure that has to be done standing in the computer room (once you've rescanned, which takes about 10 minutes, assuming the new tape is blank, you then have to format it before it can be put back into play). This isn't going to play real well with my scheduled automatic backups.

the front panel controls of the 1/8 aren't that nifty either.

could I request this as a future enhancement for the DataProtector/Autoloader1/8 combination? surely, the computer can somehow tell the 1/8 to spit a particular slot out... if so, it should be able to do this to provide the equivalent functionality to the 'mailslot'....
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Eject functionality for the 1/8 Autoloader would be a great improvement. Anybody know if DP 6.0 will include that feature?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Woody.
It doesn't...
I came to this thread exactly for that problem on my DP 6.0 brand new server 🙂

Regards,
Alessandro
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It has nothing to do with DP. The hardware has no implementation of robotics addressed mailslots.

Thanks,
Scott
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.