Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Nehemoth Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Dataprotector and StoreOnce VSA integration

Jump to solution

Hi.

I'm trying to understand the relationship between DP and SO (VSA especifically) when the form a relationship.

Right now we are testing DP version 9 in our lab, we are looking for a backup software that allow us to recover from a server failure, I mean the operating system, installed application and configuration.

Sadly the image disk of DP isn't working as expected but that's another issue.

We already have DP in our production enviroment so was easy the implementation, also DP its a very straight forward product, but then came alone StoreOnce.

So about StoreOnce VSA is the product that I have some questions unanswered, so lets hope you you can help me out.

1. What would SO VSA allow me to accomplish concerning DP?, right now we are going to use DP as a File Library, we are sending the Backups to a LUN.

2. If the SO VA its used as a Dedup 'device' what is the purpose of the 1TB HDD assigned to this VM?

3. What should I configure on the SO VA, a Catalyst store, a NAS, a VTL or what?, bearing in mind that DataProtector has been configured as File Library.

Those are my question for now.

Hope somebody can please point me in the right direction to learn a little more.

Regards

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

— Leonardo da Vinci
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Dataprotector and StoreOnce VSA integration

Jump to solution

Hi Grimaldy,

I try to answer your questions. Not sure what you mean with the image backup issue, but maybe you can open a new post for that.

What would SO VSA allow me to accomplish concerning DP?, right now we are going to use DP as a File Library, we are sending the Backups to a LUN.

The StoreOnce VSA runs the same code as a physical StoreOnce appliance. It is a highly optimized backup device that offers superior deduplication for efficient data storage. With the VSA you can device on which hardware the StoreOnce code runs. You can turn local or SAN storage into a dedupe backup storage.

If the SO VA its used as a Dedup 'device' what is the purpose of the 1TB HDD assigned to this VM?

You can scale the StoreOnce VSA using 1TB VMDKs. Each of the VMDK pieces are bound together into a file system where the deduplication engine runs. Depending on the VSA license it can scale in 1TB increments up to 50TB total.

What should I configure on the SO VA,a Catalyst store, a NAS, a VTL or what?, bearing in mind that DataProtector has been configured as File Library.

StoreOnce Catalyst is the best option. While a File Library on a CIFS/NFS share would also dedupe (on the VSA) it is integrated deeply into the product. Data Protector allows you to use different kind of backup devices simultaneously.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Grimaldy,

I try to answer your questions. Not sure what you mean with the image backup issue, but maybe you can open a new post for that.

What would SO VSA allow me to accomplish concerning DP?, right now we are going to use DP as a File Library, we are sending the Backups to a LUN.

The StoreOnce VSA runs the same code as a physical StoreOnce appliance. It is a highly optimized backup device that offers superior deduplication for efficient data storage. With the VSA you can device on which hardware the StoreOnce code runs. You can turn local or SAN storage into a dedupe backup storage.

If the SO VA its used as a Dedup 'device' what is the purpose of the 1TB HDD assigned to this VM?

You can scale the StoreOnce VSA using 1TB VMDKs. Each of the VMDK pieces are bound together into a file system where the deduplication engine runs. Depending on the VSA license it can scale in 1TB increments up to 50TB total.

What should I configure on the SO VA,a Catalyst store, a NAS, a VTL or what?, bearing in mind that DataProtector has been configured as File Library.

StoreOnce Catalyst is the best option. While a File Library on a CIFS/NFS share would also dedupe (on the VSA) it is integrated deeply into the product. Data Protector allows you to use different kind of backup devices simultaneously.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.

View solution in original post

Nehemoth Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Already wrote about the disk image issue with DP, here

Really appreciated your help, lets the tests begin.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

— Leonardo da Vinci
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.