Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
WayneKim Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Deleting Media Pool for File Library

I have been testing backup to disk using file library. I am now trying to delete everything and start from scratch. However, I am unable to delete the media pool that file library used. It errors with "Pool is not empty - export/move all media first." When I try to export out a depot file, it errors out saying "Media of type Distributed file media format cannot be exported." Can someone explain what I am doing wrong? I simply want to clean up the file library of all the test runs that's taking up the disk space and start fresh with production backup.

Thanks.
0 Likes
22 Replies
Danielle Lanois Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Deleting Media Pool for File Library

Wayne

Have you recycled the media within the FileLibrary ?
0 Likes
WayneKim Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, they have all been recycled. There are no protections on the file depots. I still get the same errors.
0 Likes
WayneKim Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Does anyone have any suggestion? Thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Wayne

I have two File Libraries (1 x 1.5 tb) and another 1 tb... and use them extensively.

Can you generate a screen print of the Devices screen so that I can see the detailed File Library media ?

What version of DP are you running and what type of Cell Mgr (Windows/Unix?)

Tks - Danielle Lanois
0 Likes
WayneKim Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Danielle,

I appreciate you helping me with this. My file library is a 1TB LUN from EVA. I am running DP A.06.00 on Windows 2003.

The media pool I am trying to delete is File_Library_DFMF_Mediapool. When I try to export the media files from this pool I get the error as shown in the attachment.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Wayne

I am cannot open the zip attachment...
Can you post it as ms word doc or ms paint ?

/Danielle
0 Likes
WayneKim Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I apologize. Not sure what happened during the posting. Here it is in word document.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Wayne

I can see the word doc, but you have not displayed the file library details/protection.. as you only hilited the 'Environment'

If you hilite the F:\DFMF_REPOSITORY, I will then see the appropriate protection specifics

thanks

/D
0 Likes
WayneKim Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Here you go. Thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Wayne

The answer is in the protection of the media_pool entries.!!

Most of the media pools have been set with a protection of PERMANENT, others have a retention Nov 22,23 or 24....
(Permanent is the default retention setting...)

Two things:
a) clean up the repository...
b) modify your backups so that they have a retention...

Cleaning up the Repository:
Select all the file depot entries and select - recycle... I can do this via v5.5 Windows Cell Mgr... but not sure as you are running v6.0...

Otherwise, you can list the sessions on each media depot and then select the sessions via the Internal Database - gui screen and recycle that way.

Changing the source backups jobs: (that use the file library....)
If you check within the source backups job details, there is a tab : Options/Common Applications...
This screen will present a drop down to select an appropriate retention; none/days/weeks...

Hope this helps... Let me know...

/Danielle
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Wayne

I can send screen prints to explain if required.

Let me know..

/D
0 Likes
WayneKim Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Danielle,

My issue is with deleting the media pool named "File_Library_DFMF_Mediapool". The ones with the protection is my current media pool and I have no issues with this.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Wayne

Your screen print is small - but here goes...

If I understand, you have a problem with
"File_Library_DFMF_Mediapool". ]

If I am looking at the proper media pool, you have twenty entries in this media pool - labelled:

"File_Library_DFMF_MediaPool_1 thru to MediaPool_20... and all of these entries have protection = NONE...

Before you can delete the media pool (as a whole) you have to export individual media pool entries...

Do you have Software Support with HP ?

Have you logged a case with HP ?

Not sure if we are not communicating properly, and I am possibly not undertanding... or is it rather a bug in v6.0 of DP ?

I use my file libraries all the time to stage some of my slower servers.

I run a disk-to-disk followed by an automated disk-to-tape...

/Danielle

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Wayne

Question... Regarding - Distributed file media format .... this is used within the Synthetic backups for the Virtual Full Backup right ?

I've started to read up on this and believe (just my interpretation) that with Virtual Full Backups... All the objects are to remain on disk....

See the Concepts.pdf for v6.0...

Let me know how it works out.

/D

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.