Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
WayneKim Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Deleting Media Pool for File Library

That is correct. Synthetic Full remains on disk. You can move these full to tape at a later time.
I am not able to export the media and, as result, not able to delete the pool. I wanted to check with the forum before opening a case with HP. That's all.
I appreciate your help, though.

WK
0 Likes
Stan Oleszkowic Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Wayne:

Were you able to find resolution on this? If so, could you please post the procedure for deleting the media pool? I have a similar situation (well exactly the same except for file names, etc.) and would like to hear what you've found out. Should I find a solution I'll post here as well.

Thanks,

Stan
0 Likes
WayneKim Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Stan,

No I still do not have a resolution to my issue. Seems like I will need to open a case with HP to find some answers. At least I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this issue. I'll let you know when I have some updates.

Thanks.
0 Likes
Stan Oleszkowic Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Through some reading and experimentation here's what I've deduced and found...

File Library Media Pools are autocleaning. So when file library media becomes unprotected (all the objects within the media have a Protection of None) the media is deleted from Data Protector the next time a backup specification is run that uses that media pool.

So to delete the media from the media pool, one can recycle all the media in the pool and then run a backup job that uses that media pool (by specifying the File Library that uses that media pool). Of course, running a backup job then creates a new media which should, upon job completion, be the only media in the pool.

Here's the snag. The newly created media will not be exportable unless the File Library device has the Use DFMF checkbox cleared before running the backup.

If you clear the DFMF checkbox in the File Library properties before you run the final cleaning backup job, the job will delete all the recycled media and create a new media which can be exported. Once that's done, the media pool can be deleted as can the File Library device that was using the Media Pool.

Unfortunately this technique depends on the media contained in the Media Pool associated with the file library being resident. If through various experimentation you've cause the media to go non-resident you may be stuck with it. In that case your only practical option may be to create a new Media Pool and give it a name such as Obsolete Media, move the media to that pool and then be able to delete the File Library and the original Media Pool.

Hope this helps,

Stan
Absent Member.. Jason Moorhead_ Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Thank you Stan! I was trying to remove a file library and was having these issues, and it's now cleared up. The start of the backup I used after unchecking the box said

"[Normal] From: BMA@XXXX.com "DFMFFL02_Writer02"  Time: 9/28/2011 12:14:22 PM
    Deleting expired file depots from file library "DFMFFL02".

Thanks old friend!

0 Likes
Super Contributor.. Johnc_3 Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

If I recall, the omniupload -remove_library command will force the removal of a File Library without any questions asked

Hope this helps,

John

------------------
Kudos gratefully accepted - How to assign...
0 Likes
Jorge Lizano Ch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi everyone,

I had the same problem, and testing, I found that what you have to do is create a backup using the device or the pool that you can´t remove, being careful that when generating the job, must be protected "NONE", when the job ends, good or bad, go to the pool or drive that you can't´remove, and do it.

Any questions, write me...

Regards....

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Norman Ng Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Guys,

Here is how you delete the pool.

1. Highlight the contents of the media pool then recycle.

2. Select the media pool that you want to delete and export if, this will remove it from the Data Base.

3. Select the media pool again and now delete it.

I have posted this because I did not find an answer online. When I figured it out and it worked, I thought I should share the solution

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.