Tim__Lawhead Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Does scheduling INCR and FULL backups in separate specifications work?

Jump to solution

Would the tracking of INCR and FULL work if you copy a backup spec and have the schedule be INCR on one and the other copy be just the FULL?

I ask because I'd like to limit my copy operations to just grab FULL copies going into my tape library and since there isn't an option in the copy operation to grab the latest FULL only, splitting the backup specs so that objects from one spec are Fulls only seems the way to go.

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Does scheduling INCR and FULL backups in separate specifications work?

Jump to solution

In order to keep track of the incr/full chains, Data Protector uses three parameters to identify the objects:

1. Client
  2. Mount Point
  3. Object Description

So, as long as the backup jobs are an exact copy and  none of the above parameters changes, the Incrementals should be matched to the Fulls even if they were created by different backup specs.

Regards

Juanjo

2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Yes, that would work!

Koen

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

In order to keep track of the incr/full chains, Data Protector uses three parameters to identify the objects:

1. Client
  2. Mount Point
  3. Object Description

So, as long as the backup jobs are an exact copy and  none of the above parameters changes, the Incrementals should be matched to the Fulls even if they were created by different backup specs.

Regards

Juanjo

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.