Respected Contributor.. rsamora Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

EADR ALL SERVERS?

What is the downside of configuring all of my 1300 Windows based clients as EADR clients?  I'm using one cell manager and I'm wondering about the overhead involved with going this route. 

Is there going to be a significant increase of data for storing the recovery sets for all clients?  When all of my servers get patched once a month, will I have to do something to all of the clients, i.e. copy another recovery set, for all 1300 clients?  Has anyone else implemented EADR across the board?  Before I go down this road, I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

Thanks,

Randy

0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: EADR ALL SERVERS?

Hello

For that purpose you must considerer the following

1º Keep a full backup for each client that must be refreshed after windows update or similar

2º SRD file size for each client is between 1-10 KB therefore it shouldn't be a problem

3º About SRD update

Updating the SRD File (Windows Clients)
After the CONFIGURATION backup the SRD file contains only system information required for installation of the DR OS. It is located on the Cell Manager:
Windows systems:
Data_Protector_program_data
\Config\Server\DR\SRD
UNIX systems:
/etc/opt/omni/server/dr/srd
In order to perform a disaster recovery, additional information about backup objects and corresponding media must be added to the SRD. The SRD can be updated only on a Windows client. The SRD filename on the Cell Manager is identical to the hostname of the computer where it was generated - for example
computer.company.com
. The name of the updated SRD file is
recovery.srd
It is possible, that the information about backup devices or media stored in the SRD file is out of date at the time disaster recovery is being performed. In this case, edit the SRD file to replace the incorrect information with the relevant information before performing the disaster recovery.
Store the Cell Manager SRD file in a safe place (not on the Cell Manager). It is recommended to restrict access to the SRD files.

4º You can update SRD files manually or automatically please check disaster recovery guide for details

Updating the SRD file using the Data Protector Disaster Recovery Wizard on Windows systems

Updating the SRD file using the omnisrdupdate command

Updating the SRD file using a post-exec script

5º You will need create a ISO Image for each client for that purpose WAIk\AIK windows tool must be installed into OS with teh same version than server that will be recovered for be able to create ISO image.

Best Regards

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Randy,

Hope to make  a comment.

What is the downside of configuring all of my 1300 Windows based clients as EADR clients?

=> you may need to check the OS for the WINDOWS system and make sure they are supported for EADR.

Yes - a very high number of WINDOWS clients and so you may want to check - do you need to implement a DISASTER RECOVERY for each one of them. Are they that critical ?

Downside - I would look at it as more work.

I'm using one cell manager and I'm wondering about the overhead involved with going this route.

=> I can see that these 1300 WINDOWS systems are clients in one CM / one cell.

Is there going to be a significant increase of data for storing the recovery sets for all clients?

=> YES because you need to have FULL BACKUPS for each one of them WINDOWS clients for DR.

When all of my servers get patched once a month, will I have to do something to all of the clients, i.e. copy another recovery set, for all 1300 clients?

=> It should not be an issue if you do a patch update - all you need is to do another full backup.

If you make system configuration changes - such as change NIC, replace/changed disks, other HW changes, etc, then you have to update your SRD file. Same as above - downside is more work.

Has anyone else implemented EADR across the board? Before I go down this road, I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

=> I dont have such statistical information and what I would really recommend is to check your DR requirements - do you really need to have them all or just those that are critical WINDOWS systems.

Do also note, as per Disaster Recovery documentation, that this is a multi-step process and that you need to do proper planning/preparation, and as much as possible, test your DR procedure, specific to each system.

Hope this helps

Rgds,

Sherman

HPE DP SUPPORT

Highlighted
Luc Minnaert Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

and !!!!

whatever EADR is implemented, TEST IT OUT !!!!

especially with Windows hosts, a small change can have disastreous impact on a recovery.

For every "type" of HW- SW combination you should test it out.

I've been there, done it and now I'm skipping it  :-). With multi-homed windows servers it is NOT a walk in the park I can assure you... !!!!

Probably better to have procedural installation methodology followed by a restore of the latest backup.

Luc Minnaert

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.