MO_4 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Failed to impersonate user

Jump to solution

Upgraded my Data Protector Cell Manager and all clients from v9.09 to v10.30 on August 14, 2019.

My Cell Manager runs on Windows 2012 R2 and I have a mixture of clients (60% Windows OS and 40% Linux).

I have Microsoft Exchange 2010 Server email integration  running in a DAG environment (7 email servers).

Right after the upgrade to v10.30 my email backup began giving me error message below

[Warning] From: INET@wpwexmbp02.npd.com ""  Time: 8/15/2019 10:00:04 PM

Failed to impersonate user DPUSER@WPWDPP02.

I have a ticket open my Microfocus and they recommended the following but neither step has resolved the issue:

To reconfigure the impersonation you have to run the next commands on the server (wpwexmbp02.npd.com)

• omniinetpasswd -delete DPUSER@WPWDPP02
  • omniinetpasswd -add DPUSER@WPWDPP02

Run the Backup and if it keeps sending the error do the next.

This other steps is to do add the user credentials on the Windows Permissions.  You need to have Administrator Permissions to do this.

• Go to: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy
  • Expand 'Local Policies' and select 'User Rights Assignment'
  • Go to “Replace a process level token” and “Impersonate a client after authentication” and Add the credentials of the user (WPWDPP02)
  • Restart Inet service. (Execute “Run”, open “Services. Msc”, Search for the process called “Data Protector Inet” and  Restart it)

I don't recall ever having to implement "add the user credentials on the Windows Permissions" to any client.

I'm looking for suggestions while I wait for Microfocus to assist me further with this case.

Thanks in Advance,

MO.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Failed to impersonate user

Jump to solution

Hello @MO_4,

I have seen something similar in various upgrade scenarios. Please try to remove the session owner from the Exchange backup (Advanced Options). It will work without User Impersonation because access credentials are stored in a different configuration file.

To do this remove the information from the Ownership section and try again.

2019-09-12_07h44_23.png

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @MO_4

As you mention, the reconfiguration of the impersonation in the client does not work, correct? 

I will think that you need to get debugs and check the debugs from Inet on wpwexmbp02.npd.com 

If you get it and upload it here I will take a look.

Regards,

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
MO_4 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Andres,

Microfocus engineer working the case requested debug logs.  I have uploaded them.

They determined:

---OB2DBG_17472_2019-09-11-23_INET_wpwexmbp02.xxx.xxx_40668-0_wpwdpp02_BSM_18984-19412_Exchange.txt---

[ 99] 2019-09-11 11:22:45.228 ("/lib/xtra/win32_suid.c $Rev$Date:: 2009-09-11 19:11:14 ":120)

[ 99] ===>> (5) Win32_ChangeAccountRights {

[ 99]   Args: user:DPUSER domain:WPWDPP02 addRights:1

[ 99]

[ 30] Get SID of WPWDPP02\DPUSER

[ 30] [Win32_ChangeAccountRights] OS call LookupAccountNameW failed with [1332] No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.

Thanks,

Mario O.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @MO_4

This looks like a problem of the user trying to access the AD. 

Looks this MS forum: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ae9024f8-0734-47ea-8647-2be38b8902d8/error-1332-no-mapping-between-account-names-and-security-ids-was-done-cannot-find-approvedgroups?forum=winserverGP

They had the same error and solve it adding the needed permissions. 

You will need to contact your AD admin, probably he helps you more. 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hello @MO_4,

I have seen something similar in various upgrade scenarios. Please try to remove the session owner from the Exchange backup (Advanced Options). It will work without User Impersonation because access credentials are stored in a different configuration file.

To do this remove the information from the Ownership section and try again.

2019-09-12_07h44_23.png

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello

You are getting an error calling a OS function not a DP function, I really suggest contact Microsoft support for to resolve this issue.

Do you get the same issue using a different user account?

ALso please try to delete impersonbation again and add it using domain\user syntax

omniinetpasswd -add Domain\User Password

It seems ot be the same but remenber any case where result was different.

Best Regards

0 Likes
MO_4 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

@Sebastian.Koehler 

Sebastian,

That's exactly what I did and warning message went away.  Email DAG integration backups and restores are working without problems.  I went for the simple solution instead of making Windows OS AD security changes.

Thanks for your reply.

Mario.

0 Likes
MO_4 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

@JBasilio Clearing the backup ownership like Sebastian K suggested worked. I think the warning I was getting was a DP v10.30 upgrade cosmetic issue. Backups and restores are working without problems after clearing the backup ownership. Thanks for your reply/suggestion.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.