Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
mehaaksma Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Fallback to legacy filesystem backup was not allowed. Aborting the backup

What does this mean?

[Normal] From: BSM@g5u0199c.atlanta.hp.com ""  Time: 2/8/2012 11:23:17 PM
    Backup session 2012/02/08-29 started.

[Normal] From: BSM@g5u0199c.atlanta.hp.com ""  Time: 2/8/2012 11:23:17 PM
    The session "2012/02/08-25" will be restarted.

[Normal] From: BMA@g5u0200c.atlanta.hp.com "V_g5u0200c_LAN_110.16"  Time: 2/8/2012 11:23:20 PM
    STARTING Media Agent "V_g5u0200c_LAN_110.16"

[Normal] From: BMA@g5u0200c.atlanta.hp.com "V_g5u0200c_LAN_110.16"  Time: 2/8/2012 11:23:20 PM
    By: UMA@g5u0200c.atlanta.hp.com@/dev/rchgr/autoch4
    Loading medium from slot 410 to device /dev/rtape/tape168_BESTn

[Normal] From: VBDA@g5w2219g.americas.hpqcorp.net "CONFIGURATION:"  Time: 2/8/2012 11:23:25 PM
    STARTING Disk Agent for g5w2219g.americas.hpqcorp.net:/CONFIGURATION "CONFIGURATION:".

[Critical] From: VBDA@g5w2219g.americas.hpqcorp.net "CONFIGURATION:"  Time: 2/8/2012 11:23:38 PM
    Fallback to legacy filesystem backup was not allowed. Aborting the backup.

[Normal] From: VBDA@g5w2219g.americas.hpqcorp.net "CONFIGURATION:"  Time: 2/8/2012 11:23:38 PM
    ABORTED Disk Agent for g5w2219g.americas.hpqcorp.net:/CONFIGURATION "CONFIGURATION:".

Sincerely,
Monica Haaksma
0 Likes
11 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Fallback to legacy filesystem backup was not allowed. Aborting the backup

Seems that the VSS option was enabled for the /CONFIGURATION backup and the fallback is not allowed or possible. Check the advanced settings on the backup job and try again. Check the event logs of the client for possible errors as well.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
mehaaksma Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How do I check if the VSS is enabled?  I'm looking through all the tabs for the backup spec/datalist, but I don't see it. 

Sincerely,
Monica Haaksma
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You need to check both possible options.

1. Options -> Filesystem options -> Advanced -> WinFS options
2. Backup object summary -> client object -> Properties -> WinFS options

Regards,
Sebastian
---
mehaaksma Absent Member.
Absent Member.

VSS is not enabled.

Thank you for that tip, btw.

Sincerely,
Monica Haaksma
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I see. VSS backup is enabled per default on /CONFIGURATION - regardless your settings. You need to check if VSS generates errors in the system/application event log on the client during backup. Try creating a manual VSS copy on drive C: to see if it is working or not. Check logs again. If you solve the issue on the client, the backup should work as expected.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
0 Likes
mehaaksma Absent Member.
Absent Member.

VSS copy is working for C, but not CONFIGURATION.

Sincerely,
Monica Haaksma
0 Likes
Absent Member.. mspb Absent Member..
Absent Member..

I have the same problem on one active directory server under windows 2008R2.

I would like backup CONFIGURATION et VSS return an error ID 12294

Sorry the message error is in french...

"Erreur du service de cliché instantané des volumes : erreur lors de l’appel d’une routine sur le fournisseur de cliché instantané {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. La routine a renvoyé E_INVALIDARG. Détails de la routine GetSnapshot({00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000},00000000003180E0). "

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Have you tried to create a manual VSS snapshot of C: drive using Windows? Is there sufficient disk space available for snapshot creation and the service in the manual state?

If this is Data Protector 6.20, see the following note in the knowledge base. There might be a fix available...

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1209433

Regards,
Sebastian
---
0 Likes
Established Member.. Gordovox
Established Member..

I would check the properties of the backup job from the Backup Object Summary tab. I have seen where the option is turned off in the normal spot but turned on in the summary page.

IE. The VSS option has been turned off on my backups under Options-Filesystem Options-Advanced-WinFS Options-MS Volume Shadow Copy Options-Use Shadow Copy (unchecked)

BUT when I go to Backup Object Summary-Properties of server-Win FS Options-MS Volume Shadow Copy Options-Use Shadow Copy (it has been cheked here)

0 Likes
Absent Member.. pankaj gupta de Absent Member..
Absent Member..

showme omnicheck -patches

on C.M.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.