Established Member.. dirkdevos
Established Member..

File contains possible DP logs (DP 9.06)

Jump to solution

A while ago I upgraded from version 9.05 to 9.06 and started noticing a file named "1" in the root folder of just my Unix servers. I have not found a simmilar file on my Linux or Windows servers. From the log entries it appears to have data protector information in it. The last update time of the file is normally around the same time as when that particular server was being backed up.

Has anybody noticed a file with similar contents and does anybody know where this file is coming from or what is causing it to be created.

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Sat Apr  9 20:46:47 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.Mydomain.com] : PATCH_INFO_IS

Sun Apr 10 01:17:54 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.Mydomain.com] : BDF

Sun Apr 10 01:22:19 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.Mydomain.com] : vbda

Sat Apr  9 14:49:42 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.mydomain.com] : INCLUDE

Sat Apr  9 14:49:43 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.mydomain.com] : INFO_MODULES

Sat Apr  9 14:49:43 2016 [root.sys@server1.mydomain.com] : GET_FILE

Sat Apr  9 14:49:44 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.mydomain.com] : INFO

Sat Apr  9 14:49:49 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.mydomain.com] : INCLUDE

Sat Apr  9 14:49:49 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.mydomain.com] : INFO_MODULES

Sat Apr  9 14:49:50 2016 [root.sys@server1.mydomain.com] : GET_FILE

Sat Apr  9 14:49:51 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.mydomain.com] : INFO

Sat Apr  9 14:49:52 2016 [root.root@server2.mydomain.com] : INFO

Sat Apr  9 14:49:52 2016 [root.root@server2.mydomain.com] : EXEC_CMD

Sat Apr  9 14:49:52 2016 [root.root@server2.mydomain.com] : EXEC_CMD

Sat Apr  9 14:49:53 2016 [root.root@server2.mydomain.com] : FTP_PUT_FILE

Sat Apr  9 14:49:54 2016 [root.root@server2.mydomain.com] : EXEC_CMD         

Sat Apr  9 15:15:22 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.Mydomain.com] : INFO

Sat Apr  9 20:41:22 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.Mydomain.com] : PATCH_INFO_IS

Sat Apr  9 20:43:42 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.Mydomain.com] : PATCH_INFO_IS

Sun Apr 10 04:58:40 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.Mydomain.com] : vbda

Sun Apr 10 10:28:25 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.Mydomain.com] : vbda

Sun Apr 10 19:38:04 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.Mydomain.com] : PATCH_INFO_IS

Sun Apr 10 19:38:46 2016 [USERID.DOMAIN@server1.Mydomain.com] : PATCH_INFO_ISF

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: File contains possible DP logs (DP 9.06)

Jump to solution

Hi all ,

What a real issue is , logs are consuming unexpected filesystem (/ or /tmp) .
Amount of inet logs are not huge , but it's growing constantly .

So, it will be preferred to stop logging into such a filesystem .

Now new hotfix (HF2) is available to solve both issues . (/1 and /tmp/inet.log) .

If you never mind about such a log file under / or /tmp , that is perfectly fine 🙂
If you need to stop logging to the incorrect filesystem , please contact support team to get the HF .

Thank you.
Best regards.
Tadashi

0 Likes
21 Replies
Honored Contributor.. Marcos_A_DP Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have not noticed any file like that in UNIX environments. As per the information the file shows I would think it is related to the upgrade information\log. 

Marcos A.
SW Support Technical Consultant
San Jose, Costa Rica
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks for the information. The file is getting appended to every night. Any ideas on how to determine if this is coming from data protector or not?

0 Likes
Absent Member.. svollrat Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

do you have any scripts in place where you try to redirect output to a file and accidently redirect to File "1" instead of STOUT?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

The content looks similar to /var/opt/omni/log/inet.log. I would remove the file and wait if and when it re-appears. Have you done the upgrade remotely (push) or locally? What is the exact operating system version of the UNIX client?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

I do not think so. If I did then somehow I changed a script that is running on every single HP-UX server that is being backed up.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Is this HP-UX 11.31 on Itanium or something different? As mentioned I would remove the file on one client, remotely push the client again to see what happens. If it is recreated check /etc/inetd.conf for any bogus configuration information. Do you see new entries to the file in case you remotely run omnicheck -patches -host client?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Sebastian,

The /var/opt/omni/log/inet.log files appear not to have been updated since the new file started showing up. I have deleted the file on two of my HP-UX clients that are being backed. New entries are being added to the file every night around the time that the server gets backed up. My Unix servers are all running HP-UX 11.31 and they have all been patched in the last month or so.

A while ago I was instructed by HP support to upgrade from version 9.05 to 9.06. I did the install of the cell manager and installation server locally. Once I had a successfull upgrade on my cell manager and HP-UX instalation server, I pushed the update out to all the clients using data protector.

0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Yes I am running HP-UX 11.31 on Itanium servers. I have deleted the file on 2 servers. I will push the update to one of them and see what happens.

Thanks for all the information so far.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

You should check /etc/inetd.conf on the HP-UX client. Is the -log parameter is correct?

omni stream tcp nowait root /opt/omni/lbin/inet inet -log /var/opt/omni/log/inet.log 

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Yes, the /etc/inetd.conf entry for omni is correct.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

In that case I would enable debug in /etc/inetd.conf, restart INET, run a quick backup (1 file is enough) and check the existence of /1. Make sure to remove debug option afterwards.

omni stream tcp nowait root /opt/omni/lbin/inet inet -log /var/opt/omni/log/inet.log -debug 1-500 /tmp/INET.txt

It looks like -log is handled proerly by INET. I have no HP-UX 11.31 client available to double check, but I guess software support will be able to resolve this quickly with that information provided.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello,

I can confirm this one :

"DP creates files named "1" and "2" under"

and Yes - the main suspect is that INET is the one logging it.

A lab case is already raised for this one and as of now, I dont see any new update.

We will have to wait for the lab engineer's comment - the one who handles the INET module.

QCIM2A68427 /1 /2 files are created unexpectedly since 9.06

Rgds,

Sherman

Trusted Contributor.. Herman Vanbruss Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello, We experience the same on our HP/UX 11.31 servers. A quick check tells me that the "2" file is always empty and the "1" file always has lines telling under which user-ID a DP process was launched on the affected server.

I Presume that "1" stands for the standard output of a process that runs on every HP/UX server. And "2" stands for standard error of this process. So the possible conclusion that you have reached in this thread could be correct. inet is running on every HP/UX server and therefor is a good possible candidate.

Our linux servers do not have these files under the root file system.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Herman ,

I had a same suspicion but it seems that DP doesn't use a redirect (1>, 2>) to log those messages .
So, the situation might be a bit different .
We are waiting for analysis of labs now .

Regarding the path , other customers reported that the files are being created under /root (not /) .
I also suspected that it might be related to home directory of root user , but it's not clear yet .

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.