Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Firewall configuration issue with DP5.5?

Jump to solution
I have two servers that are in a DMZ. I've installed the DP client on them manually and applied patches to the same level as the Cell Manager.

I've had some firewall rules put in to allow the following ports between the backup server and targets -

Port 5555 bi-directional from BACKUPSERVER to TARGET
Ports 20000-20199 bi-directional from BACKUPSERVER to TARGET

I've also edited the omnirc file and added the following entries -

OB2PORTRANGESPEC=xSM:20100-20199
OB2PORTRANGESPEC=xMA-NET:20000-20099

The issue I have is that I can't back the remote servers up. Strangely I can browse to them from within the cell manager, I can select files/folders to backup, but the backups won't start. The error from the log is copied below -

[Critical] From: BDA-NET@l01ntcwi01 "l01ntcwi01 [/C]" Time: 24/05/2007 17:04:26

Cannot connect to Media Agent on system l01ntdps01.corporate.local, port 20000 (IPC Invalid Hostname or IP Address

System error: [11004] No data record available

) => aborting.

[Critical] From: BDA-NET@l01ntcsg01 "l01ntcsg01 [/C]" Time: 24/05/2007 17:04:17

Cannot connect to Media Agent on system l01ntdps01.corporate.local, port 20000 (IPC Invalid Hostname or IP Address

System error: [11004] No data record available

) => aborting.

The configuration that I mentioned earlier has worked on a previous implementation of DP5.5, can anyone suggest what we might have missed or any other firewall configuration?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Invalid hostname or IP address makes it appear that the disk agent on your client machine can't find the media agent.

From the client machine, can you ping l01ntdps01.corporate.local.

If you can't ping, you appear to have a name resolution issue. If you can ping, can you telnet to l01ntdps01.corporate.local on port 20000?

Leigh.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Invalid hostname or IP address makes it appear that the disk agent on your client machine can't find the media agent.

From the client machine, can you ping l01ntdps01.corporate.local.

If you can't ping, you appear to have a name resolution issue. If you can ping, can you telnet to l01ntdps01.corporate.local on port 20000?

Leigh.

View solution in original post

Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
Hi Steven,

we use die OB2PORTRANGESPEC in 1 line, it dont worked with 2 lines in the omnirc.
Example:
OB2PORTRANGESPEC=BMA-NET:xxxx-xxxx;RMA-NET:xxxx-xxxx

BMA to specify the backup ports
RMA to specify the restore ports

Regards
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi all,
Yes Leigh is right, you must in first check dns resolution with ping, ping -a and nslookup from each other (client to server and server to client).
It seem a dns resolution problem, you can change file host without modify DNS server.

Regards

Daniele
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.