Absent Member.. The_Shoe_Man Absent Member..
Absent Member..

GFS Schema Examples

Jump to solution

Hey People,

Our company is using data protector in combination with a MSL2024 Tape Library.
Also, we only have VM's and we have vCenter, and I installed the GRE web-plugin and works perfect.
When I started here the daily back-up was set to full, every day, after some research I changed this to incremental/differential.

Now I want to implement the GFS Schema, Grandfather Father Son within Data Protector, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, etc. See attached image for schema example.

- The question I have is how can I do this in Data Protector?

- How can I set the configuration that Data Protector tells me which tapes to take home for off-site back-up?

- Are there any examples available, think of schedule examples

Thanks a lot!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member..

Re: GFS Schema Examples

Jump to solution

Allright, I figured it out.

Mediapools:
1. 'Daily' - 12 mediasets = Differential Mode + 1 Master = Full Mode to start the schema with and keep off-site with the differential mediasets
2. 'Weekly' - 8 mediasets = Full Mode
3. 'Monthly' - 8 mediasets = Full Mode
4. 'Yearly' - 2 mediasets = Full Mode

- Schedules:
Next I created schedules for every mediaset/pool and named them identically.
Every mediaset+mediapool has it's own schedule, the daily(differential mode) every day, the weekly(full mode) every Saturday, the monthly(full mode) every last saturday of the month and the yearly the last saturday of the year.

- Saturday
Why Saturday you might ask? This is due to the business we are doing which has production times, during these production times ICT department cannot make back-ups, Saturday is the day we have enough time to create the full back-ups to avoid issues.

- Master
The master media is the one to start with so you have a full back-up and continue the daily with differential back-ups from the master full back=up.

- Schema's
Unfortunately I could not find any schema's within data protector to use, So I created them myself and manually created every schedule wit the correct settings according to the year schema, it was a lot of work but the result is satisfying.

- Labeling
I labeled every tape/media besides the barcode with D1 - D12, W1 - W8, M1 - M8, Y1&Y2
These labels are useful to have so you know which tapes belongs to which mediaset, the barcodes are mainly used by Data Protector to recognize, humans use the D/W/M/Y labels.

Note: A mediaset is actually one tape, formatted into a mediapool.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

This rotation type makes:
- 12 sets available for daily backups,
- 8 sets for weeklybackup,
- 8 sets for monthly backup and
- 2 sets for yearly backup.

Right?

So, create media-pools 'reflecting' the media-sets, and place the oher media-sets in a free-pool?

0 Likes
A_cachete
New Member.

Jump to solution

Well, in my opinion if you need to do this this could be the option to follow.

One backup spec for each type of retention of media set that you need, why this, because you can change the pool and the schedule for this backup spec as you need it.

mainly you can have the pools created but if you put all the tapes in the free pool you DP will take the tapes that DP prefers and may not be what you want.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello

Regarding getting DP to tell you what tapes to off-site...Data Protector supports "Vaulting", and there is ample documentation in both the user guides and the Data Protector Online help that detail how to configure and implement this feature.

Regarding the GFS backup stratagies.   The stratagy you are whishing to implement is supported by Data Protector.  It consists of understanding the backup types and proper scheduling.   This information is also available in the User Documentation.  I would start by reading VMware Integration Guide, first understanding the different backup types.  Then read the documentation regarding scheduling.  Scheduling is documented several places, but I would start with the Concepts User Guide.

It would be my suggestion regarding examples to open a case with support so that a conceptual demonstration could be done with the support staff.

Best Regards

0 Likes
antaln Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Your question touches on many concepts: scheduling, media management and reporting, so my answer is just a glimpse.

You could create a medium pool for each rotation type (daily, weekly, monthly, yearly). Then create backup specifications that use these specific pools.

Example: create a backup specification for monthly backup, in destination tab you select the devices you want to use, and for each device in Properties specify the medium pool created for the monthly rotation, and specify suitable protection time (1 month), then schedule this backup specification to run monthly.

You have to create these backup specifications for each rotation type, as Data Protector does not allow specifying a different pool per scheduled run.

Once you do this, you can see which media are in which pool via Medium pool view in Devices and Media contex in DP GUI and Media reports (Reporting context in DP GUI)

Off-site storage (Vaulting): you can assign a location to the medium in DP when you move it off-site. All media that are protected and not marked with an offsite location label of your choice would be candidates for off-site storage. You can configure a report to show you protected media from specific pool that do not have an off-site location specifier, and have that report delivered e.g. via e-mail.

As THE_DP_GURU suggested, Data Protector Concepts and Administration Guide documents should contain the details to help you configure the scenarios according to your needs.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Allright, I figured it out.

Mediapools:
1. 'Daily' - 12 mediasets = Differential Mode + 1 Master = Full Mode to start the schema with and keep off-site with the differential mediasets
2. 'Weekly' - 8 mediasets = Full Mode
3. 'Monthly' - 8 mediasets = Full Mode
4. 'Yearly' - 2 mediasets = Full Mode

- Schedules:
Next I created schedules for every mediaset/pool and named them identically.
Every mediaset+mediapool has it's own schedule, the daily(differential mode) every day, the weekly(full mode) every Saturday, the monthly(full mode) every last saturday of the month and the yearly the last saturday of the year.

- Saturday
Why Saturday you might ask? This is due to the business we are doing which has production times, during these production times ICT department cannot make back-ups, Saturday is the day we have enough time to create the full back-ups to avoid issues.

- Master
The master media is the one to start with so you have a full back-up and continue the daily with differential back-ups from the master full back=up.

- Schema's
Unfortunately I could not find any schema's within data protector to use, So I created them myself and manually created every schedule wit the correct settings according to the year schema, it was a lot of work but the result is satisfying.

- Labeling
I labeled every tape/media besides the barcode with D1 - D12, W1 - W8, M1 - M8, Y1&Y2
These labels are useful to have so you know which tapes belongs to which mediaset, the barcodes are mainly used by Data Protector to recognize, humans use the D/W/M/Y labels.

Note: A mediaset is actually one tape, formatted into a mediapool.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.