Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Absent Member.. AlexV1 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

GRE plugin integration with vCenter 5.5 and DataProtector 9.06

Hello all,

I'm facing some errors regarding this topic... I planned to migrate my infrastructure from vCenter / vSphere 5.1 to 5.5.

I'm licensed with the VMware GRE plugin, It works well with the 5.1 infrastructure

I already prepared the 5.5 servers, I integrated the server to DataProtector in order to validate that the GRE is working, but the problem is the following :

When I use the vSphere Web Client, if I go to the "HP DataProtector" tab, I have this error : Http Error - 500 
{"message":"Unexpected error :There was a problem while sending query to service https://myservername.mydomain:7116/dp-gui/grePlugin/GetMountProxies.jsp?newMachineTypeParam=ESX. Check that this agent is accessible."}

The server is reachable, it works properly... When I try to access the URL directly from my browser, I have a 404 error....

Maybe there is a little trick... I don't know, please help me =(

0 Likes
40 Replies
Absent Member.. KloppYNWA69 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: GRE plugin integration with vCenter 5.5 and DataProtector 9.06

check your IE version. IE might need upgrading....

0 Likes
Absent Member..

I have the same problem using IE11 or Google Chrome

I see that the tab is named "HP Data Protector"... On the 9.06 version, it's "HPE Data Protector" if I'm right, no ?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Have you checked the GRE integration guide shipped with Data Protector A.09.06 in the Docs folder? If this is a VCSA you need to open the firewall on the client that has the GRE agent and on the VCSA.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
nigil Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

With VC5.5U2 and above,  GRE UI is changed from Flex to Angular and it has gone Agentless. 

So probably you need to:

- Delete (with remove components) the VCenter client from DP Cell manager

- Restart VCenter service and Vcenter webclient service in VCenter server.

- Install VMWare Granular Recovery Extension agent component in Cell manager or any other Host part of the cell. This will act as the mount proxy. (Mandatory pre-req)

- Import the VCenter again to the cell along with select "Advanced GRE Web Plugin" tick box 

- Close, clear the cache  and open the Web Browser; Open VCenter Web client.

- In VM-> Manage -> HPE DataProtector -> Settings : Set the mount proxy path

Now you can proceed to Recovery.

Hope you are using VC5.5U2 or higher and firewall is disabled or configured for the ports in use.

-------------------------------

{Cheers by Kudos++}
Absent Member..

Hello nigil,

Thank you for your help, it works, the plugin is now named "HPE Data Protector"

Now I'm facing a different problem... The plugin is stuck with "Loading..." whan I click on the tab, so I'm unable to do the settings...

I don't use the VCSA, I installed vCenter 5.5U3 on Windows 2012 R2 VMs, my firewall are disabled

I'm using a Palo Alto firewall solution, I checked the communication between vCenter and Cell Manager (which act also as Mount Proxy) and between the Cell Manager and the vCenter, nothing is blocked or dropped

0 Likes
nigil Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

When you click on the HPE-DP tab, an auto pop-up will come,  which display the Cell Manager name. and quickly goes off.  Hope you found this. 

Then if the screen is in loading can bedue to several issues:

- Check HP OpenView is not installed in the same VCenter machine. (or any other HP software installed, that use the same port?)

- Not able to communicate between CellManager-MountProxy-Vcenter.  [Add all the host resolution information to /etc/hosts file or C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts] 

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Still not working? 

- Close browser and clean cache.

- Remove the Advanced GRE Web Plugin.

- Go to VCenter/mob ->Extension Manger (https://<VC-host>/mob/?moid=ExtensionManager) and check old HP Web Plugin is removed.

- Restart the VCenter and WebPlugin services.

- Add the Advanced GRE Web Plugin again , by select+ Apply the tick box.

-  Open browser and check now. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Also check in the integration guide for the error messages and trouble shooting.

-------------------------------

{Cheers by Kudos++}
Knowledge Partner

Please make sure the following TCP ports are open between the vCenter server and server where the VMware GRE agent is installed. Make sure the VMware GRE agent is not installed on multiple servers. This will make troubleshooting complicated. Check the debug.log on the server where the VMware GRE agent is installed.

5555 — the default port for Data Protector communication
7116 — the Application Server (HTTPS AS) port
The port ranges for the Advanced GRE Web-plugin are between 15000 and 15999.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Tags (3)
Absent Member..

I see communication from vCenter to Cell Manager on ports 7116 and 5555, no packets dropped, it's perfect.

When I restart vCenter Virtual Machine, I'm able to access to the "HPE Data Protector" tab, I can see the requests without the "Loading" popup, but when I try to access the "GRE Settings" page, it's stuck on "Loading"

0 Likes
Absent Member..

GRE agent is installed on 2 servers on my infrastructure, but the vCenter choose to work with the good one

On the "debug.log" file, I see these lines which concerns the "vmwaregre-agent.exe" process

2016-07-07 10:35:00.638  vmwaregre-agent.exe.7960.4368 ["/lib/ipc/ipc.c $Rev: 52399 $ $Date:: 2016-03-11 08:21:03 ":1301] A.09.00 b107
ipc_sendDataEx: IpcHandle -1 does not exist
cmd:vmwaregre-agent.exe
Function trace (currentLevel=3):
	Level  3: IpcGetEntry()
	Level  2: ipc_sendDataEx()
	Level  1: ipc_sendDataEx(handle=-1, buffer size=0, timeout=0)
	Level  0: OB2Utility::Run()
0 Likes
Absent Member..

And finally, on my firewall, I have 2 rules

vCenter any => DP CM any / action : accept

DP CM any => vCenter any / action : accept

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Could you add an user <ANY>, group <ANY>, host <ANY> to the Data Protector admin group to see if it is a permission issue?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Absent Member..

I have exactly the same issue adding the "any" user

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Are you able to share the virgo.log from the vCenter server?

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2004090

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Absent Member..

I have only lines like that : "[2016-07-07 14:07:47.467] [INFO ] http-bio-9443-exec-7          com.hp.dp.gre.agentcomm.socket.SocketAgentImpl                    [startAgent] Java waits for socket to be set... "

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.