Highlighted
LRSchumacher1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HP DP 6.2 / 1X8 G2 Auto Loader not filling up tapes...

Running DP 6.2 on a Win Server 2008 R2 server with a 1X8 G2 Auto Loader and a stack of LTO 3 400GB/800GB tapes.  Its never really been a concern whether or not the backup software/tape drive actually used up the available space on the tape until now.

When fomatting the tapes, under medium size, I'm using 819,200 (MB).  Yet, I have tapes that show 100% usage with only 545269 MB on the tape.  I have a file system backup with about 20 servers and about 2.6TB of data that used up six tapes.  Is there a configuration to maximimze the amount of data written to my tapes?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: HP DP 6.2 / 1X8 G2 Auto Loader not filling up tapes...

Hi,

By definition, it's not possible to write more than capacity to the medium. DP always writes to end of media or until the backup job finishes --- whichever occurs first. DP expects to receive an I/O when the tape fills up and handles the error by starting a mount request ---- which may automatically be handled if you are using a tape library, for example.

The only purpose the media capacity/size value serves is for the initial Media Pool statistics --- it really serves no other purpose. You will even find that seemingly identical backups will vary in size eventhough the underlying files have remained the same size because the contents of the files might have changed and that affects how the data are compressed.

Regards.

Please assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. danielbraun Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: HP DP 6.2 / 1X8 G2 Auto Loader not filling up tapes...

Hi,

as I remember there was a bug, make sure to update to latest patches / version. If problem gets not solved, please open a software case.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.