Absent Member.. NASA ASUS Absent Member..
Absent Member..

HP Data Protector 7.0 Telnet <server> 5555 delay for 30 seconds.

Recently upgraded from 6.20 to 7.0

When installing an agent on a client, the verify Cell Manager times out.

When testing with telnet <cellManager> 5555, it takes 30 seconds to reply.

Is this something new with 7.0?

0 Likes
5 Replies
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: HP Data Protector 7.0 Telnet <server> 5555 delay for 30 seconds.

No, the 'telnet [hostname] 5555' has always worked the same.  It is supposed to immediately display a banner, and timeout after about 10 seconds

If this is the behavior when running the 'telnet' locally, that is, not across the network, I'd say that the problem is on this newly-added machine

0 Likes
Absent Member.. NASA ASUS Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Bob,

Good test, sadly it is also taking 30 seconds using telnet localhost 5555 on the cell manager.

Is there a configuration suggested to look at?

0 Likes
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You can try doing the 'telnet' to the system wihtout the 5555, this may not work if the 'telnet' service is turned off.  Maybe also try a 'telnet' to some different port

I know that on UNIX, you can check the /etc/services file to see what port is being used by various functions.  For example, on my test HPUX system, in /etc/services

ftp           21/tcp                 # File Transfer Protocol (Control)

so

/home/bobc # telnet mysys6 21
Trying...
Connected to mysys6.atl.hp.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220mysys6.atl.hp.com FTP server (Revision 1.1 Version wuftpd-2.6.1(PHNE_40380) Fri Dec  4 10:05:22 GMT 2009) ready.

If you get the same type of response as you do to port 5555, it is a OS issue, nothing we can configure with Data Protector

I guess there is something similiar in Windows, you would probably need to check Properties of Services to find the port number being used

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi.

If your cell manager is HP-UX based, then DP's IPv6 implementation could be hitting you. If so, then check this blog for more details about the issue and a possible resolution -

http://hpblogs.lithium.com/t5/Technical-Support-Services-Blog/DPTIPS-Data-Protector-IPv6-and-the-Unintended-Consequence/ba-p/109643#.U6P7U7GYVP4.

Regards,

Shishir

0 Likes
André Beck
Visitor.

Hi Bob,

No, the 'telnet [hostname] 5555' has always worked the same.  It is supposed to immediately display a banner, and timeout after about 10 seconds

Actually, everywhere I ever tested this (and I do that quite often), the TCP session instantly connects, then silently waits for 10 seconds, and only then displays the banner and immediately afterwards closes the connection without further ado. I've never seen the banner come up earlier then after the 10s timeout.

Regarding the original poster's problem, excessive delays in connecting TCP sessions may also indicate a borked reverse DNS setup, though it's hard to understand how this should come about as a result of a CORE upgrade. It can be ruled out easily using hosts file entries, though.

HTH,

Andre.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.