Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

HP Data Protector configuration of ZDB integration with 3PAR and VMware

Hello,

We are currently using the VMWare integration of DP to backup our VM's from 3PAR datastores. We would like to setup the ZDB integration for VMWare with 3PAR, but the documentation (GRE admin guide and GRE integration guide) are not clear at all. Can somebody give me more detailed infromtation on below questions:

1) It seems a dedicated VMWare ESXi mount host is needed. Is this also needed when you only want to put the backups on tape (in this case StoreOnce catalyst)? In other words, why is this dedicated ESXi mount host needed if you don't want to use IR or GRE with 3PAR ZDB protection for VMWare?
2) According the existing documentation replica's (snapshots of the VMWare datastores) will be presented to the ESXi mount host. How can we use the SAN transport protocol over FC, if the replica's are presented to the ESXi mount host?
3) Besides the VMWare ESXi mount host, it seems a Linux mount host is needed if you want to use GRE in combination with snapshots residing on the 3PAR, correct? I presume I can also perform GRE without this Linux mount host, but then it will be non-cashed GRE and you can use a windows host? Am I correct?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi,

it seems you mix ZDB and GRE...

I implemented ZDB for VMware on 3Par last week and it was successful (after resolving the hostsets on 3Par).

- You first need to configure the smis using omnidbpzdb.

- Present the VMFS LUNS to the backup server

- Import a ESX Host as vmware server in clients.

- Create the specification

So, why is the "mount proxy" used at all? When the backup starts, vCenter is used to create the software snapshot, followed by the hardware snapshot on 3PAR. Assume you selected only 1 machine during the backup, but the LUN contains more machines. In this case the proxy server is required to mount the 3PAR snapshot and to determine what stuff to backup... So it's temporary only and you do not require a dedicated mount proxy server, you can use an existing ESX server.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hey Daniel,

Thx for your information. I still have some questions. The snapshot on 3PAR is only presented to the mount host. So what's the advantage of presenting the source vmfs datastores to the backup server as the snapshot will be used for backup? This way you will backup via NBD and not via SAN, or am I wrong? Don't you have present the snapshots to the backup server as well?

When presenting the vmfs source volumes to the backup server I presume you present them in read-write mode as this is the only option for source volumes with 3PAR?

Kind regards

Koen

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hey Daniel,

1 more question. You use an existing ESXi host as mount server. Is this server part of the vSphere cluster and are the surce volumes also presented to this ESXi server?

Kind regards

Koen

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi,

In my case I used both methods to backup the virtual machines - normal VE integration and ZDB. for the normal VE integration you present the VMFS volumes to the backup server to be able to do SAN backups. And, whil it is presented as read-write - SAN restores as well.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi,

according to documentation it can be any ESX server but with access to any vCenter server and access to the LUN. The vCenter is temporary used to register the machine .

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

During a ZDB backup, VEAgent performs vStorage Image backup. VEAgent first establishes connections between the backup system and the virtualization host (an ESX(i) Server system). This connection can either be through a vCenter Server system (in the case of a vCenter environment), or direct (in the case of a standalone ESX(i) Server environment). It then requests a snapshot of the virtual machine that is to be backed up, via the vStorage API for Data Protection (VADP). This ensures that the virtual machine is in a consistent state. ZDB Agent then creates a replica of the virtual machine disks. The replica is presented to the ESX(i) mount host, Media Agent client is initialized and the data for backup is streamed to tape.

it is required that the ESX(i) Server systems are connected to the same storage system with Fibre Channel.
Mount ESX host needs to be different than the one which host VM.(I think Not necesserily to be added in VCenter, but surely should be in same Fabric/Zone). Mount host is required because the replicas of the datastores created will be mounted on this host and from there backup will be done to DataProtector devices.

Steps:
Configure Array using omnidbzdb command:
omnidbzdb --diskarray 3PAR --ompasswd --add <3PAR IP/Host> --user <User_Name>

Configure SAN. Ie add your host info and related WWNs to Zone.

Create LUN in 3PAR and present it to ESX. Create VM on this datastore.

Present the same LUN to backup host.(only export)

Backup host should have following components: Virtual Environment Integration (VEAgent), Disk Agent, General Media Agent, ZDB Integration agent(HP 3PAR SMI-S Agent)

Import VCenter in the DP CM.

Import ESX hosts to the DP cell.

Create Storage plugin(ZDB) backup.

-------------------------------

{Cheers by Kudos++}
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.