HP Data Protector for SAP HANA backup
We are planning to use HP Data Protector for SAP HANA backup. Below are the steps we are going to follow,
1. Install DP cell manager and Media manager on Virtual Machine with SUSE operating system on BL460 gen9 server.
2. As this is blade server in chassis 7000 which will connect to FC Tape Library MSL 4048
3. Take directly backup from SAP HANA applicance over 10Gbps backup network connected to Blade server (Cell Manager) through virtual connect VC Flex-10 interconnect modules.
Questions are as below,
1. Is this the correct way to setup the backup solution for SAP HANA?
2. As SAP HANA appliance has 10GB network speed but Blade server will not have similar network speed. So here the limitation to take direct backup from SAP HANA will depend on the actual network speed of blade server(Cell Manager) correct?
3. Please suggest if any other better backup solution for SAP HANA.
Re: HP Data Protector for SAP HANA backup
access from a VM to a physical tape library (via FC) is not supported/working. While you could run a Cell Manager in a VM, the Media Agent that requires access to a physical tape should be installed on a physical server. Having the HANA integration module installed on the HANA Appliance means the data is passed to the Media Agent (via Network) before it is written to the device. Network is one limiting factor here.
You should know that SAP HANA does very frequent archive log backups. Depending on the number of instances/tenants the frequency can be very high. Too high for a physical tape library that requires time to load the cartridge. My recommendation is to do HANA archive log backups to disk (StoreOnce, File Library) and fulls on disk or on tape depending on your requirements.
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.