Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

HP DataProtector 6.20

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am wondering how to speed up writing data in HP DataProtector 6.2 from local disk storage to local tape. Is it ok to add more tape drives (now we use only one drive)? Maybe other techniques to speed up writing.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Andrej

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member..

I figured how to make the drives not to be locked. In the object specification in the source tab I replaced all the disk writers, that we use for daily backup, to use a single writer dedicated for the object copy (change and select for each writer a new object copy dedicated writer).

This makes the daily backup work and the dedicated writer to write to tape without interruption.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Absent Member..

Hi,

So you have a tape library with one drive and and a file library with one drive also? Is this correct?

If it is, you can add more drives to your file library, so that several virtual tapes can be loaded at the same time and sent to tape in parallel. That might speed it up a little bit...

But, of course, if you have the possibility to add more drives to your phisical tape library, that would speed it up a lot more...

0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

The important thing with tapes is to keep them streaming.  Any time they have to wait for data they have to rewind and get to the right point to start writing again.  This can dramatically slow down writing.

Feeding the tape from multiple disk sources is the way to achieve this.

HTH

Jeremy

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Actually we have several disk drives. But as I can see in the monitor only one is writing the data to the tape. In the tape properties i have selected that concurrency is set to 4. How to make 4 streams write to the tape simultaneously?

Thank you,

Andrej

0 Likes
Absent Member..

check on the properties of the drives of your file library if you have checked "This drive may be used for restore"

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Yes the option is checked (also the option to be used as source for object copy).

0 Likes
Absent Member..

I figured how to make the drives not to be locked. In the object specification in the source tab I replaced all the disk writers, that we use for daily backup, to use a single writer dedicated for the object copy (change and select for each writer a new object copy dedicated writer).

This makes the daily backup work and the dedicated writer to write to tape without interruption.

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.