Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
dboyr Contributor.
Contributor.

How can I automate the backup job creation in order to add 100 backups using a script and not GUI?

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Data Protector, but I've been using Tivoli storage manager (tdpo client) and StoreOnce.

I managed to create backups using GUI, but I have to migrate a fair amount of databases to DP.

Is there a way to create backup definition automatically using a script instead of clicking next next next through GUI?

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Likes
4 Replies
Jenni_S Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: How can I automate the backup job creation in order to add 100 backups using a script and not GU

When you say database backups do you mean DP Integration? If yes there are 2 stages to the backup creation, the integration config file (so DP knows how to connect to the application) and the integration barlist (the backup).

You can script the integ config file configuration but not the barlist itself.

The barlists are simply flat files so provided you understand the syntax you can create the backup via the flat file rather than via the GUI and you can script this using any shell that can manipulate flat files.

So in short yes this can be scripted / automated but not fully within the data protector command line.

If you don't like the sound of that maybe take a look at backup templates? That allows you to apply generic information to multiple backups like device / pool / retention. But this depends on what type of integration you are gonna use.

Integ Config fles are saved to <omnihome>\Config\Server\Integ\Config\<integ type> or /etc/opt/omni/server/integ/config/<integ type>

Barlists are saved to <omnihome>\Config\Server\Barlists\<integ type> or /etc/opt/omni/server/barlists/<integ type>

Take a look and if you have further questions come back to us?

regards,
jenni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, please click on KUDOS!
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How can I automate the backup job creation in order to add 100 backups using a script and not GU

Hello @dboyr

DP creates one file for each backup. You can found in on:
For FileSystem: 

ProgramData\OmniBack\Config\Server\Datalists
/etc/opt/omni/server/datalists

For Integrations: 

ProgramData\OmniBack\Config\Server\BarLists
/etc/opt/omni/server/barlists

The situation is that DP needs to access the servers, on integrations, to get some configuration. So, GUI steps are needed. These files are created here:

ProgramData\OmniBack\Config\Server\Integ\Config\
/etc/opt/omni/server/integ/config

For that reason, the GUI configuration is needed. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
dboyr Contributor.
Contributor.

Hello,

Thank you both for your replies.

I have tried to add/change manually the configuration files but I can't see the changes inside the GUI for example.

I found out by testing, that if I already have a client with at least one backup inside the GUI, then I can run all scripts from client side.

One problem I have is that GUI has no "restore validate" for example and some other tasks I usually have scheduled for RMAN. Also a very critical command that is missing and I don't understand why, is a cleanup job.

Why can't I have a job that does only delete obsolete and crosscheck? (maybe I didn't find it).

I don't know if this is a bug or it's supposed to work like this.

Does anyone do RMAN backups like this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Gamut Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Why can't I have a job that does only delete obsolete and crosscheck? (maybe I didn't find it).

Never done RMAN inside DP, but I used to be an Oracle DBA. You can of course do a "delete obsolete" in the same RMAN script as you do your "backup database". Can you live with such an approach?

I have tried to add/change manually the configuration files but I can't see the changes inside the GUI for example.

The GUI does not have "on change" triggers/events (at least not in DP 9). I use the poor man's workaround: navigate to antoher backup specification and return to te changed backup specification.

One problem I have is that GUI has no "restore validate" for example and some other tasks I usually have scheduled for RMAN

IIRC, Data Protector is quite dumb when it comes to RMAN. You can enter your RMAN script and that is about it. No real integration. IMHO, the DBA should be the one to write the RMAN scripts, including scripts to validate backup. The backup administrator should be the one to facilitate backup storage.

[My personal opinion is in fact not to use RMAN integrated backups because the DBA must have some knowledge about DP and some responsibilities and the DP administrator should know a fair amount of RMAN and Oracle database and some responsibilities that came with in. This means both parties are (to be blunt) responsible for both backup and database. I have seen this  lead to questionable backups, dubious retentions, hard to restore backups. When we split responsibilities (the DBA does an RMAN backup-to-disk, the DP admin a flat file backup, "things" improved a lot. The ability to clone a database from disk backup was a huge bonus. Restoring a database in the evening after a seriously failed upgrade without the involvement of the DP admin, is also a time saver.]

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.