Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

How can i set replacement device in operations

Hello all,

I am trying to figure it out one problem related with tape drivers.

I am using hpe 4048 tape driver.

how can i replace tape drivers in operations, if driver 3 is down how can automatically active other driver under the BACKUP>PROPERTIES>DESTINATION .

I can add other driver under the this path & give an order drivers but both of them is not my answer.

Thanks for your advice.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How can i set replacement device in operations

Hello @mtduran,

If you replace one drive, you can go to Devices and Media > Expand the library > Select the device replaced > Make sure that new SCSI path and serial number are correct. 
The SCSI path can be changed manually and for the Serial you can click reload. 

The SCSI paths and serial can be checked with the command devbra -dev in the Media server. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

I think you mean how can you get DP to just use an available drive when running the backup?

In BACKUP>PROPERTIES>DESTINATION make sure you have *all* drives selected that *could* be used with the backup, then restrict the number of drives that you actually want it to use by setting the min/max load balancing value.

For example your library has 4 drives, the backup can use any drive but must ONLY use a single drive

So I tick all 4 drives (drive_1 + drive_2 + drive_3 + drive_4) and then set my min/max to min 1 max 1 (at the right of the drive selection)

Then if drive 3 is not available it will use drives 1 or 2 or 4 but never more than one drive.

If you min/max is greyed out then you didn't enable load balancing when you created the backup.

Hope this helps!

regards,
jenni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, please click on KUDOS!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

I can strongly recommend this suggestion.

That's how I am doing it since Data Protector 7.x

Regards,

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Thanks Jenni, but your mentioned solution is failed 3 or 4 combined schedule, if i chose 4 session, yes you are right first driver cover first server , then second driver at the same time start to another server.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Hi Mtduran,

I'm sorry but I'm struggling to understand what you mean. Can you explain a bit more or maybe provide a copy of the relevant backup spec(s) so I can see what is configured?

regards,
jenni

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, please click on KUDOS!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.